Is there any point in buying the Dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tokiopop, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well, as we all know, no dock is included with the 3G, and costs £20 from most shops.

My question is, is it really worth buying? Do those of you that own one like it, is there any point in having one instead of using the standard wire? I'd just like your thoughts on it, please. :D

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

If you have to ask the question, then the answer for you is probably "no." Its really a personal thing. I am at my desk a lot, so I have my phone in the dock and if someone calls I can answer it on speakerphone or my BT headset and keep on working. I could of course do that without a dock, but I like the visibility that comes with it.

3. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Thanks. I just like being able to plop my device into something, so it stays still whilst I'm charging/syncing it, rather that it sliding all over my desk. :eek:

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm the same way. I also use the universal dock, so I can use the remote to listen to music on it to if I can't use my computer for some reason, which I really like.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I put my iPhone in the dock every night to charge. I got mine from eBay for .99, plus a couple bucks shipping. It was made for the original iPhone, but with a little dremeling it fits the 3G perfectly.

6. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I bought the "Xtand" because not only did I want my Iphone upright, I wanted it at a tilted angle which is perfect to use for an alarm clock, etc.

http://www.xtand.net/index_iphone.php

I love it.

7. mikecenizal macrumors member

nice idea with the dremeling. i have my old 1st gen dock sitting somewhere might as well give it a try.

8. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Often overlooked and important for music production: There is a real and balanced Line-Out sound connector (3.5 mm stereo miniplug via USB) on the backside of the Docking Station! If you want to connect your device to mixing units, speakers or power amplification devices you'll need it.

9. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Personally, its a waste of time for me because i use my iPhone with my MacBook which i always travel with between home and uni, and a dock just adds to the amount of stuff i have to take with me.

I remember i used the dock off my 4G iPod (when they came bundled with them), but back then my main iTunes library was on my desktop so it was usable.

10. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I have a dock on my nightstand because I use my iPhone as a bedside clock (Nightstand is the app I use).

11. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

i have the dock and really debated getting it in the first place

dont wast your money. if you want to pay 30 bucks for it to stand up then be my guest

12. Jailbird1818 macrumors member

I am going to grab a universal dock at Apple tomorrow when I get my wife a Touch for christmas. I'm thinking the universal so I don't have to take off my Seidio when I sync and so I can use it for my Classic too.

-JB

13. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Thanks everyone, I think I'll try find a cheap one on eBay! ;)

Just got a SwitchEasy Colours off eBay for £6.00 too! :eek: