Is there any point in paying extra for this HDD with Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gwelmarten, Jun 22, 2012.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi
    So, I was looking at the Western Digital My Book Studio 2 in the 6TB form (see here), when I saw they make a thunderbolt version (see here).

So, I can't see why I would pay at extra $200 for this. The non-thunderbolt version has USB 2.0, which has read/write speeds of about 480Mbps (correct?).
    The hard drives in there (because they are SATA, physical hard drives with moving parts) are limited to around 40Mb/s. So surely USB 2.0 is capable of moving data faster than the drives can read/write, so there is no need for anything faster?

Doesn't this therefore mean that putting thunderbolt into a product like this is pointless, as it will work at exactly the same speed as the USB version, limited by the HDD speed?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your comments,

Sam

2. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

USB 2.0 is much slower than the 480Mbps it says, with overhead and such you are lucky to get about 25MB/s, I ended up going with firewire800, high bandwith and less overhead, I get about 55MB/s with that. Avoid 2.0 if you can mate it's so slow.

3. simsaladimbamba

Normal modern 3.5" (desktop) HDDs can deliver up to 130 MB/s when connected via S-ATA interface. USB 2.0 limits the transfer to 37 MB/s.
    Since that model you linked to has two actual HDDs, you can employ RAID on them and stripe data onto two HDDs, thus getting 250 MB/s, thus Thunderbolt is quite helpful.
    But then again, with RAID in striping mode (splitting data onto two ore more HDDs), you need to employ a proper backup system, as when one HDD fails, all data is lost.

4. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that.
    As I want to use it in mirroring mode (so if one HDD fails, the other will still have the data), is what you are saying that USB 2 would work around 37Mb/s and if I were to have thunderbolt, it would be 125Mb/s?

Do you know anything about the Western Digital Caviar Green drives being bad in a RAID array because they 'spin down'?

Sam