Is there any point in stealing an Apple product?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by profmatt, May 11, 2018.

1. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

My local Apple reseller was burgled last night -- MacBooks, iPhones and so on were taken in the raid.

This got me thinking, if you steal an Apple product that has been registered, is there any point? Can you do anything with it at all?

And if you steal an Apple product that has not been registered, but for which the owner has the serial number, is there any point in that? Can't Apple just decline to register it.

Obviously you could sell it to someone and screw them over, but no-one's getting a functioning Apple product, right?

2. liftedpsd2010 macrumors member

Maybe for screens and parts? That’s all I can think of.

3. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

What is it that you think you mean by this "registration"?

4. 0007776 Suspended

You resell it online and then disappear after the buyer finds out that it has an iCloud lock on it. Or you sell it for parts and claim you forgot the password. It’s not very ethical, but if someone is stealing in the first place it’s not like being ethical is very high on their priority list.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean like sell them on eBay as NIB?

They steal them to make money, pure and simple and yes those thieves will invariably make a profit on their ill gotten gains.

6. RepentHarlequin macrumors newbie

Asking for a friend? ;) Short answer: yes.

Seriously, there is a way to monetize the theft, but I won't explain with details.

7. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Why would it have an iCloud lock? This was supposedly sales inventory that was stolen.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Some Times these criminals part out the products specifically and sell them on eBay as ‘Replacment parts.’ Seems like a lot of work to do that, but there is enough money in something like this if somebody takes the time to sell the parts that others are willing to pay a premium for.

9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Just selling a 1TB or 2TB SSD is worth the effort - when it costs the perp nothing.

10. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Yeah a stupid perp. If I’m risking jail, it’s not going to be for a few hundred dollars.

11. Alexrat1996 macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

You should know the answer already without even asking

12. Tech198, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018

Tech198 macrumors G5

No, that's just because u because you put a lock on it... meaning you could have unlocked it before hand, you just choose not to... or you chose to turn off "Find my iPhone", before selling.

Thus, anyone foolish enough to keep it locked is just tracing their way back home anyway.

13. Tech198 macrumors G5

Anything on the premium expensive side you cannot afford can be seen as "seal" approach.. regardless of the consequences. It might make you think more beforehand, based of what would follow if you get caught..

If a product is "registered" than they know which one(s) got "loose", so that's the persons decision really. I guess there could be ways around it, but that's really up to the sealer.

14. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

When that brand new pallet of iPhone 6's went missing, the serial numbers were blacklisted so they would not activate.

I'm unsure with the laptops.