Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
My local Apple reseller was burgled last night -- MacBooks, iPhones and so on were taken in the raid.

This got me thinking, if you steal an Apple product that has been registered, is there any point? Can you do anything with it at all?

And if you steal an Apple product that has not been registered, but for which the owner has the serial number, is there any point in that? Can't Apple just decline to register it.

Obviously you could sell it to someone and screw them over, but no-one's getting a functioning Apple product, right?

liftedpsd2010

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
My local Apple reseller was burgled last night -- MacBooks, iPhones and so on were taken in the raid.

This got me thinking, if you steal an Apple product that has been registered, is there any point? Can you do anything with it at all?

And if you steal an Apple product that has not been registered, but for which the owner has the serial number, is there any point in that? Can't Apple just decline to register it.

Obviously you could sell it to someone and screw them over, but no-one's getting a functioning Apple product, right?

Maybe for screens and parts? That’s all I can think of.

Reactions: hufflematt

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

What is it that you think you mean by this "registration"?

Reactions: rafark

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You resell it online and then disappear after the buyer finds out that it has an iCloud lock on it. Or you sell it for parts and claim you forgot the password. It’s not very ethical, but if someone is stealing in the first place it’s not like being ethical is very high on their priority list.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you do anything with it at all?
You mean like sell them on eBay as NIB?

They steal them to make money, pure and simple and yes those thieves will invariably make a profit on their ill gotten gains.

RepentHarlequin

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Asking for a friend? ;) Short answer: yes.

Seriously, there is a way to monetize the theft, but I won't explain with details.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
You resell it online and then disappear after the buyer finds out that it has an iCloud lock on it. Or you sell it for parts and claim you forgot the password. It’s not very ethical, but if someone is stealing in the first place it’s not like being ethical is very high on their priority list.

Why would it have an iCloud lock? This was supposedly sales inventory that was stolen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Some Times these criminals part out the products specifically and sell them on eBay as ‘Replacment parts.’ Seems like a lot of work to do that, but there is enough money in something like this if somebody takes the time to sell the parts that others are willing to pay a premium for.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Some Times these criminals part out the products specifically and sell them on eBay as ‘Replacment parts.’ Seems like a lot of work to do that, but there is enough money in something like this if somebody takes the time to sell the parts that others are willing to pay a premium for.
Just selling a 1TB or 2TB SSD is worth the effort - when it costs the perp nothing.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA

You should know the answer already without even asking

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

No, that's just because u because you put a lock on it... meaning you could have unlocked it before hand, you just choose not to... or you chose to turn off "Find my iPhone", before selling.

Thus, anyone foolish enough to keep it locked is just tracing their way back home anyway.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Anything on the premium expensive side you cannot afford can be seen as "seal" approach.. regardless of the consequences. It might make you think more beforehand, based of what would follow if you get caught..

If a product is "registered" than they know which one(s) got "loose", so that's the persons decision really. I guess there could be ways around it, but that's really up to the sealer.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
When that brand new pallet of iPhone 6's went missing, the serial numbers were blacklisted so they would not activate.

I'm unsure with the laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.