Is there any reason NOT to buy a MacPro today?

Demoman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
194
0
Issaquah, WA
Now that the X1900 cards are starting to arrive, I am ordering a MP. Is there any strategic value in waiting for a very short period of time?
 

Coolerking

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
82
0
Nah! I ordered a macbook today and its going to be the 18th until it even ships. Any updates come on the 12th and you'll get them I bet.
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
Demoman said:
Now that the X1900 cards are starting to arrive, I am ordering a MP. Is there any strategic value in waiting for a very short period of time?
No, buy away! There were just introduced. There seems to have been no problems so far. They look like amazing machines. I don't know why your credit card isn't already drained!
 

bazzakite

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
11
0
when's the next MacPro update?????

so when does everyone tip the next updates to MacPros will be??

AND will they be significant updates???

I could really do will updating my system, however I could keep flogging my old gear for a couple more months if I really needed to.

new MacPros far away??
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,858
0
bazzakite said:
so when does everyone tip the next updates to MacPros will be??

AND will they be significant updates???

I could really do will updating my system, however I could keep flogging my old gear for a couple more months if I really needed to.

new MacPros far away??
far far away...

is there something in particular you are waiting for? provided how upgradable mac pro it is, i dont see it being systematically upgraded for quite a while
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
QCassidy352 said:
mac pro was just released a month ago... no updates for a long, long time. Buy now if you need one.
just another vote for buying now. no way are the MPs anywhere near a second revision.. they were JUST released. the lines that people are waiting for are MBs and MBPs.. since the iMac and mac mini just got upgrades.
 

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
1,022
78
Los Angeles
bazzakite said:
so when does everyone tip the next updates to MacPros will be??

AND will they be significant updates???

I could really do will updating my system, however I could keep flogging my old gear for a couple more months if I really needed to.

new MacPros far away??
Are you being serious? They were just announced last month!
 

bazzakite

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
11
0
cool

roger!!!

thanks for advice

I'm just paranoid about not maximising my power for dollar equation!

I'm going shopping

yeah!!!!!!
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Demoman said:
Now that the X1900 cards are starting to arrive, I am ordering a MP. Is there any strategic value in waiting for a very short period of time?
Yes, if you wait a while the Euros will rise against the dollars, then China may invade Taiwan and stretch the US forces thinner, and then we launch our nukes away when the Americans are all spread out and defenseless. Talk about strategic advantage :D

You MAY want to wait it till next year to get it with iLife 07 and maybe Leopard, but I wouldn't.. if I am that cheap I will just pirate it off bit torrent.
 

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
2,259
4
Beds, UK
generik said:
You MAY want to wait it till next year to get it with iLife 07 and maybe Leopard, but I wouldn't.. if I am that cheap I will just pirate it off bit torrent.
another source is eBay *cough*
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Better buy while you can before some stupid crap happens and you have to spend your hard earned Mac Pro budget on fun things like broken down cars, broken appliances, lawnmowers, medical bills, insurance, etc.
 

Demoman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
194
0
Issaquah, WA
generik said:
Yes, if you wait a while the Euros will rise against the dollars, then China may invade Taiwan and stretch the US forces thinner, and then we launch our nukes away when the Americans are all spread out and defenseless. Talk about strategic advantage :D

You MAY want to wait it till next year to get it with iLife 07 and maybe Leopard, but I wouldn't.. if I am that cheap I will just pirate it off bit torrent.
I am one of those people who always buys SW. Upgrading iWork and Leopard is so inexpensive it is a non-issue.

I was actually thinking more in terms of imminent hardware changes which may be offered in the near future. I know there is a version of the X1900 called the X1900 XT (I think). Performance is superior to the current standard one and some clever folk have been able to make the card work in the Mac Pro. There are so many informed professionals on this board, who keep more current with things coming down the pipeline, I thought it worthwhile to float a general question.

As it turns out, I have made the purchase. The memory upgrade is certainly expensive...relatively speaking anyway. I am going to shop for some 3rd party as 4GB is about the low-limit I need.

Thanks for everyone's input!
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Demoman said:
I am one of those people who always buys SW. Upgrading iWork and Leopard is so inexpensive it is a non-issue.

I was actually thinking more in terms of imminent hardware changes which may be offered in the near future. I know there is a version of the X1900 called the X1900 XT (I think). Performance is superior to the current standard one and some clever folk have been able to make the card work in the Mac Pro. There are so many informed professionals on this board, who keep more current with things coming down the pipeline, I thought it worthwhile to float a general question.

As it turns out, I have made the purchase. The memory upgrade is certainly expensive...relatively speaking anyway. I am going to shop for some 3rd party as 4GB is about the low-limit I need.

Thanks for everyone's input!
The graphics card option may come out, but knowing Apple they will undershoot on the stock configuration, making you pay more to get the upgrade.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
RAM seems to be the one clincher for the time being until supplies improve.

Basically $250.00+ per GB if you insist on Apple Qualified FB ECC DIMMS with
the oversized heat spreaders.

I'm sure the prices will come down, but probably not by much any time soon.

If you don't want to wait for a long BTO shipping delay,
you can buy the X1900XT stand alone directly through the Apple online store .

$359.00 edu $399.00 Retail.

Just go to the store page and search X1900XT