Is there any reason to get an ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daneoni, Feb 1, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've been looking for a monitor to pair up with my MBP and i've been looking at the ACD but common sense in me tells me it is a complete waste of money and i can get much more for my money from other brands

...yet i still can't look away from it. I suppose its because i feel the resale value would stick compared to other brands and it matches my MBP and has that Apple elegance BUT its still grossly underspecd

What do i do?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think I'd like to know why you feel it is grossly under spec first before I give any opinionated answer.

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Comparing it to a dell, you get more ports, better contrast ratio (2000:1 compared to 700:1), better response time etc for a cheaper price

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Compared to which Dell ? And which ACD are you talking about ?

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

20" Ultrasharp and 20" ACD

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

On ports:
    You really have to decide if you need them. I for one do not, therefore the color accuracy for me on the ACD was key. I owned a 20" Dell 2004FPW and it was great, but the colors were ever so slightly different and often using that as my proofing display would result in my prints being slightly different than what was on screen at the time.

On response time:
    I don't need it, I use my display for things that aren't going to use a higher response time. IE: Gaming.

I mean it comes down to this. There are many fine displays out there that will look just as good to most people. You can get more for your money with Dell, BenQ, HP, etc. However, for me it came down to trying a 32" HDTV and not finding it easy to calibrate. Before that it was the Dell 20" that was amazing, but not quite perfect. And now the ACD, which I love ... in all it's over-priced glory.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Pretty much apple and oranges then. I'm guessing you mean the 2009W model for the Dell. This model uses a TN Film based screen, which means you will get color distortion when viewing the screen off-center. It does have better response time, but that is known that TN Film screens are overall better for gaming.

The 20" ACD, though it is a overpriced, gives you a IPS screen that's going to provide better viewing angles and better color accuracy. If you want to compare it to a Dell, the 2209WA (22") is more fit of a comparison, since it also uses an IPS panel.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Oh really...didn't know that

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The 2007WFP is actually closest to the 20" ACD (assuming you get an IPS panel and not a *VA one).

That 22" Dell is getting a lot of interest by the way, also on [h]ard|forum's display forum (a great source for display info) many were saying that by calling up dell and inquiring they were being offered it for just over $200.

10. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Weird...the 22" model i see here is a TN panel as well

11. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Because that's a 2208WFP. The e-IPS screen is a 2209WA.

12. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

of course...my mistake

13. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

So your saying by going with this its a better deal because of cost next to the ACD, also what keeps popping into my head is the fact that how much longer before the 20 & 30 inch ACD's are gone and more LED's come down the line?

I for one have a 20inch ACD in the sealed box and have been looking and reading trying to find a solid monitor, the typical ones have not done a thing for me. I do web and some photo editing, but for the time that I sit behind a 22" and above monitor I would like these older eyes to have an eye pleasing screen and not something thats going to be straining . Games I play rarely and thats not a concern.

One other thing about a ACD is that if it breaks, I can goto the Apple store, where as with the dell I could end up in Dell Hell on the phone with gosh knows who. To Bad Newegg doesnt sell Dell's

14. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

where does it say that it use's an e-ips screen?

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Web speculation up to this point. The viewing angles do tell us it's not TN Film though.

Also, I'm not saying this monitor is better than the ACD, just that's a better comparison. Everyone knowns TN film monitors aren't very good for any kind of color accuracy, and that color shifting occurs at angles with them.

16. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Thanks for the clarification, this looks interesting though

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...nding/en/monitor-energy?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04 Be interesting to see how much there going to sell for ;-)