Is there any reason to get the 2GB plan by default?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chriskzoo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

As I understand it, if you are on the 200MB plan and you go over your limit, you will be given the option to bump to the 2GB limit for $10 at that point and then after the billing cycle ends you can just downgrade again. So is there any advantage to going to the 2GB limit as your default plan other than the minor annoyance of re-downgrading your data plan if you go over?

Really, if I know I'm a day or two away from the end of my billing cycle, I would just go WiFi only for a day or two on my data until it rolls over if needed, rather than spend the $10.

2. D3lta macrumors 6502a

If you're on the 200MB plan, you get an option to get another 200MB for $15. I'm pretty sure you don't get bumped up to the 2GB plan.

3. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/02/more-details-on-atandts-data-plan-changes-for-iphone-and-ipad/

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

AFAIK, if you choose the 200MB plan, once you go over, you will get another 200MB for $15. If you choose the 2GB plan, once you go over you will be able to buy 1 more GB for $10, and you can do this indefinitely.

EDIT: Oh, never mind, it seems that you have a point.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If you accidentally go over, you get charged $15/ 200MB. But you can switch to the 2GB plan at any time and have it retroactively apply to your current billing month.

6. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you set it up to be a true cap so that if you hit 200MB it stops - rather than quitely going over the "limit"? I am pretty sure this is how the iPad works.

7. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

What if you have the 2GB plan but realize you only use less than 200MB can you change it? If so, does it extend you contract?

8. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

FTA I linked above, AT&T was going to get back to MacRumors on that.

9. IlliniDude macrumors regular

Yeah, my plan is to get the 200MB plan for all 4 phones we're getting, then monitor the usage. I've been averaging just over 200MB on my 2G, but I have WIFI turned off all the time because it's never worked very well for some reason. Hopefully I'll stay under 200 with the help of WIFI and save a bundle.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It would be nice, but I don't think so. You get messages at 65/90/100%, though.

From ATT's Faq, about switching:

So to answer NikeTalk's question, yes.

11. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Seriously, anyone born in Generation X and after will use more than 200MB per month on the iPhone 4. Stop kidding yourselves.

12. IlliniDude macrumors regular

You're right- you know better than me what my usage, my parents' usage, and my brother's usage are/will be.

13. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Going from 2G to 3G doubled my mobile internet usage. Tag on the new features of iPhone 4 and for sure you and your brother will be over 200MB, maybe not your parents. Not trying to be rude here, just realistic.

14. IlliniDude macrumors regular

I have a 2G unlocked on T-Mobile. Like I said above, I've averaged around 200MB on Edge with wifi shut off 100% of the time. I'll probably end up going to the 3G plan, but no reason not to start with the cheaper one if there's no downside. My parents and brother have never had any smartphone so I'm guessing that initially they won't be going too crazy- plus they will all have wifi at home (and my Ps are retired so they are home a lot).

15. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Yea, give it shot the first month and see how it goes. Do they prorate for that month if you upgrade to 2GB?

16. IlliniDude macrumors regular

I assume they charge you for 2G for the whole month, otherwise you could start every month at 200MB and upgrade the last possible day.

17. jisaac macrumors member

My wife uses most of her data with Facebook and Pandora. She rarely uses more than 250MB and I suspect 200 would be fine most days. I'll encourage her to use wifi more often and that means more shopping money for her - easy win.