Is there any reason to NOT install 10.5.7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tymbo, May 14, 2009.

  1. Tymbo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    #1
    I'm on a two week old iMac with teh ATI 4850 card.
    I've read that there's conflict with vmfusion or whatever, but I'm not a user of that.

    Is there any other reason to postpone the update? I'm only curious becaus eof the recent headache 4850 users had to endure for over 3 weeks that felt like 3 months.
     
  2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

    Wicked1

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #2
    I installed the update in 24 minutes on my 2009 Mini which is about 5 weeks old and my Uni MacBook 2.4 which is 3 months old last night, and I have not had any issues that I can tell and I was on them all day today.

    I am not quite sure what exactly is in the updates, I have not read about them, but everyone here seems to be installing it, so I figured why not.


    :cool:
     
  3. djc6 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    Location:
    Cleveland, OH
    #3
    I'm avoiding it because 1+0+5+7 = 13!

    Sounds like an ill-fated update to me!

    Actually, it seems to work fine on my iMac - I am however superstitious when it comes to updates. I ALWAYS use the COMBO update:

    http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_7_Combo_Update

    I had a delta update problem once (wouldn't boot into the GUI) and applying the combo update via the command line fixed it. Since then I've been combo only!
     
  4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    :D Oh noes, where's my tin foil hat... :eek:

    But I do agree, get the Combo updater from the link provided by djc6 I've been told by older and wiser Mac experts that this is the way to go.
     
  5. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #5
    i am waiting because I don't have any problems with my current setup. After a couple of weeks I'll re-think it.
     
  6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

    Michaelgtrusa

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2008
    Location:
    Everywhere And Nowhere
    #6
    Take you time, if probs then get apple support on the line.
     
  7. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

    crackbookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Location:
    Om nom nom nom
    #7
    ...to answer your question, No, I don't not have a reason for you to not update, but here is something to think about...

    The update in mid February(2/17/09) crashed my old BlackBook, but that had more emphasis on the fact that there was a firmware update as Apple Technical Support relayed this to me on the phone.

    I always wait now, no matter what the update is...

    ...just wait, these updates are usually nothing monumental - Does anyone know what the update is actually for?

    CrackBookPro:cool:
     
  8. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #8
    I never use the combo update, simply because I can save a lot of downloads by downloading it through software update.
     
  9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #9
    What about all the posts saying the update maxes the display @ 1920x1080 even if you have a display capable of higher resolution? Wouldn't that be a reason not to upgrade if you have a 24" 1920x1200 display or larger?

    Cheers,
     
  10. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

    BlackMax

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #10

    Ah... But you're not finished... and 1 + 3 = 4. Which means nothing. :p
     
  11. aidricksdad macrumors regular

    aidricksdad

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Location:
    Round Rock
    #11
    i did the update and my res is fine....must be an anna molly if someone's is messed up
     
  12. acron1 macrumors regular

    acron1

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    #12
    No problems at all with 10.5.7 on my Alu MB and that includes VMware fusion:)
     
  13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

    Hrududu

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2008
    Location:
    Wichita KS
    #13
    No problems with 10.5.7 on:

    MacBook Pro 2.16 Core 2
    Powerbook G4 1.5
    eMac 1.0
    iMac G4 1.0
     
  14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

    cocky jeremy

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #14
    I have one of the newest 2.93GHz iMacs and 10.5.7 seems to have fixed my connectivity problems with my Mighty Mouse, which was my only complain on my iMac, so it seems perfectly fine to me. No problems at all with 10.5.7 here. :)
     
  15. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #15
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3397 :cool:
     
  16. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    Location:
    Virginia
  17. psquare11 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2007
    #17
    Bonjour Printing Problem with 10.5.7

    I've been printing with an HP Photosmart 1115 via Bonjour for over two years. Now all of a sudden, after installing the 10.5.7 update, System Preferences says "No Printer Selected." Has anyone else had this issue?

    Suggestions?
     
  18. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #18
    It is pretty much outlined here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3397
     
  19. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
  20. messedkid macrumors 6502

    messedkid

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    Location:
    Oshawa, ON
    #21
    Wouldn't 10.5.7 be 10 + 5 + 7? Thus the sum would be 22?

    :p

    No problems after updating to 10.5.7 on my 2006 macbook. Only change I've noticed is Safari feels a bit snappier. :)
     
  21. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

    Cynicalone

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Location:
    Okie land
    #22
    Well I guess it depends on what hardware you have available. I always install on my backup machines first and test all my everyday apps. If everything works like it should on the backup machines then I'll install it on my main machine.
     
  22. Jammers macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    #23
    10.5.7 has a big problem with most Buffalo drives - after the 10.5.7 update OS X refuses to mount Buffalo drives so if you have an external one 10.5.7 should be avoided.
     
  23. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Near London, UK.
    #24
    Nasty and I do, so I'll be holding off, hopefully they will have a fix for that soon if its that solid. Do you know if this is restricted to FAT formatted or HFS+ as well Got a link??
     
  24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #25
    Based on your comments I proceeded to install the update on my new mini. Works fine and had no limit as to resolution. I don't know why so many users are having problems.

    Cheers,
     

Share This Page