Is there any reason to upgrade a 2015 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adelphos33, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

I was excited for the release. I have a standard 2015 MBP 13" with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, etc. I see almost no performance improvements with the new Macbook (either version). In addition, fewer ports (I use my ports to charge iPhones, iPad, etc).

Should I bother? I figure I can get a few good years out of this machine.

2. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking performance wise, no. But the fast ssd may make a difference in real world feel. The 0.5 pounds, maybe. Sounds crazy, but I felt the 3.5 pounds was a bit porky, and the air at 3.0 felt more portable. So with the smaller footprint and lighter weight, just maybe it may be worth it. But it's unbelievable how expensive they are, so I think it's nuts to price them so high. The base model without touchbar is the one to get . I think the touchbar is pretty much worthless. Certainly would wait until second generation for this to mature and see if it catches on.
    In a word, for ordinary people, anything from a late 2013 and more recent there's probably going to be no reason to upgrade unless you feel like the weight is a little heavy...which I do.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

MacBook Air shoppers. If you're in the market for a 13" Air then the MBP13 is amazing. If you see side to side comparisons then that MBP13 is so small in comparison to the Air.

Personally, I wish it was $300 less. Especially considering the Dongle Tax and the equally unreasonable sales tax then $1500 can become $2000 pretty quick.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

No, you shouldn't. Enjoy your current machine.