Is there any reason to wait to buy a 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJMeeheezee, Mar 19, 2011.

  1. DJMeeheezee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2011
    #1
    I'm looking forward to buying a new '11 MBP.

    When I bought my last laptop, I jumped on the first gen MBP "Intel Core Duo" (not Core 2 Duo!) within a few days after they launched. It was big news when Apple went to Intel chips, and I was on top of the tech world. Turns out the chip stunk, and the computer had numerous issues. I definitely got my money's worth out of my AppleCare. Needless to say, I'm always hesitant to buy new technology.

    The question I pose to all of the rumor readers is if the collective mindset is that we'll see significant improvements over the next 3-6 months or if buying today vs buying in summer is essentially the same machine.

    Thanks in advance for your advice guys and girls.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    It will essentially be the same machine. If you're a student, you could wait for Back To School promo to get an iPod but otherwise just go for it now.
     
  3. sandylp macrumors regular

    sandylp

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2004
    Location:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    #3
    I usually get a new computer every 2 years, selling my old one with at least another year of Apple Care left on it. I schedule my two year purchase according to Intel's Tick-Tock schedule, since they introduce an entirely new micro-architecture every two years, with a performance refresh to that architecture during the second year. The Sandy Bridge processor on the new MacBook Pros is a new architecture and a new one is scheduled approximately 2 years from now. So, this is a good time to purchase, in my way of thinking.:) Incidentally, I've always bought Apple Care and I've never had to use it, but it's definitely worth the peace of mind.
     
  4. ericcumbee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #4
    im trying to wait a month or two, my thinking is that will give them time to sort out some of the minor quality issues that crop up on the first few production runs of any new product.
     

Share This Page