Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
The MacBook is just about the perfect computer for me, I could totally get buy with a bit slower processor, and the only cord I have plugged into my MBP in years is the power so usb c is fine. However the screen is too small for me to be productive on. I need the 13 inch, or preferably even 14 inch.

Has there been any rumors as to other models for ultra portable, but a bit larger (oxymoron I know)?

Reactions: jpn

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
There have been 14" rumors but why wouldn't you just get the 13" non-Touchbar?

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK

The weight and the fact it has a fan inside, once you go fanless you will never want to go back IMO, the 12 inch MacBook is just a marvellous piece of engineering. I was all for the Pro as well before I had my hands on the MacBook.

Reactions: Lesser Evets

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Haven't been any 14" rumors that I have seen, but there is the 13" low-priced MacBook Air rumor.

The MacBook Air rumor is a little weird.

People think it is awkward for Apple to have so many product lines, especially when the MacBook and MacBook Air are fairly similar and the Air hasn't been properly updated for many years. The "official" rumor from an analyst or two says there will be a sub-$1000 13" MacBook Air coming out later this year.

Many assume the sub-$1000 MacBook Air will be rebranded as a MacBook and it will be $899.
Makes sense to me: ditch the ports and compress and compile and leave everything minimal and "yestertech" to achieve a $899 entry point for laptop Macs. Then offer modern MacBooks starting at $1099+ with DDR4 and larger SSDs, etc.

My big question: Will there be 13" MacBooks appearing this year, too?

Speculation believes there will be, and that the bezel will get the chop to allow the 13" on the current MacBook frame. The resolution of that Retina screen will be somewhere around the resolution of the old 30" ACD! Plenty of room for work.

Ultimately, I doubt the MacBook will go to 14" because it would require a bigger frame and a bigger price. MacBooks are meant to be mighty Mac netbooks that can do a lot more than mere netbooks. MacBooks are already very powerful for most all apps, but they lack the extra cores you get other Macs, so they are very limited when doing multi-core computing. Wait for Sept-Oct to see what rolls out; you might like it as much as a 14" dream.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Haven't been any 14" rumors that I have seen, but there is the 13" low-priced MacBook Air rumor.

The MacBook Air rumor is a little weird.

People think it is awkward for Apple to have so many product lines, especially when the MacBook and MacBook Air are fairly similar and the Air hasn't been properly updated for many years. The "official" rumor from an analyst or two says there will be a sub-$1000 13" MacBook Air coming out later this year.

Many assume the sub-$1000 MacBook Air will be rebranded as a MacBook and it will be $899.
Makes sense to me: ditch the ports and compress and compile and leave everything minimal and "yestertech" to achieve a $899 entry point for laptop Macs. Then offer modern MacBooks starting at $1099+ with DDR4 and larger SSDs, etc.

My big question: Will there be 13" MacBooks appearing this year, too?

Speculation believes there will be, and that the bezel will get the chop to allow the 13" on the current MacBook frame. The resolution of that Retina screen will be somewhere around the resolution of the old 30" ACD! Plenty of room for work.

Ultimately, I doubt the MacBook will go to 14" because it would require a bigger frame and a bigger price. MacBooks are meant to be mighty Mac netbooks that can do a lot more than mere netbooks. MacBooks are already very powerful for most all apps, but they lack the extra cores you get other Macs, so they are very limited when doing multi-core computing. Wait for Sept-Oct to see what rolls out; you might like it as much as a 14" dream.
I had a Lenovo for a while. I like what they did by cutting off the bezels and fitting a 14 inch screen into a formerly 13 inch chassis.

Still can't stand windows 10 tho

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Lesser Evets (Steve Ressel?) is correct. There have been no 14" rumours. There have just been 14" wish lists.

And yes there have been 13" rumours. We will see in a few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.