Is There ANY Service That Will Work on the Original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jun 26, 2017.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Just for kicks I popped my SIM into my original iPhone (using a SIM adaptor) and was surprised when, "NO SERVICE" came up where normally the AT&T logo is. I've done this before as I purchased this iPhone back when the 16GB was offered and it has always worked before, no problems- no issues.
    Now, I know there won't be cellular data as the EDGE network is completely shut down but why no cell or messaging service?
    With that stated, are there any providers that will either work or activate on this original iPhone? It would be fun to get it up and running, perhaps as a second device. I'd hate to think it is only an iPod now...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe Tmobile is still using their 2G/Edge service but slowly refarming away from it.
    Not sure of other GSM US carriers but there should be someone on the old dinosaur tech still :)

3. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks! I know the original iPhone was 'locked' to AT&T (even though it had to be purchased at full price) so was curious if a Tmobile SIM would work. I'll check it out (as there is a local Tmobile not too far away).

If it's not crazy expensive it would be fun to own a fully working original iPhone.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…you can still get 1xRTT off of Sprint. In fact, a lot of Sprint's service is at 1x now days.

But Sprint didn't have the original iPhone so there'd be no way you could use it.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

OT but what was the full retail price for the original iPhone.

6. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Something along the lines of $800. from what I recall. $100. cheaper if you went with the 4GB. I do know, a couple of months later when AT&T/Apple dropped the pricing I was given a gift certificate from Apple to use with iTunes.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I still have original iPhone and yes, it does work with T-mobile SIM as of a few months ago. Have not tried it since.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

$499/599 for the 4gb/8gb models ON contract. They lowered the price $200 a few months later.

http://aaplinvestors.net/stats/iphone/pricing/

9. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I'm not so sure about American cellphone service,but in Northern Europe,my iPhone 6 can easily use LTE (3G or 4G),EDGE/2G and sometimes,if only using it for phone calls,the even older dualband GSM systems. I also got a fully functional 2008 iPhone 3G,that works for phone calls and some internet browsing.

10. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

11. Applejuiced, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will not work unless you unlock it.
    All you need is redsnow and then run Bootneuter during the JB process;)
    Once the baseband is unlocked with Bootneuter its unlocked for good even if you restore it later with itunes using an official .ipsw
    --- Post Merged, Jun 26, 2017 ---
    Yes, it will never work on any CDMA provider.
    GSM only.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You missed the tongue-in-cheek part of my post AJ! :D

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :) I have a short story.
    When the original iphone first came out I was listening to one Best Buy cellphone rep tell a Verizon customer to hang on and not switch to AT&T in order to get the iPhone.
    He said Apple will put out a firmware update soon and that will make the iphone 2G to work on Verizon:D
    I was tempted to jump in the conversation but I just smiled and kept minding my business:D

14. macdragonfl, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

Haha and now at Best Buy they know even less, I generally go there not talk to anyone check out a product and then order for pickup on my phone while in store.