Is there any software that can lock the DVD drive shut on our eMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChazUK, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Hi all.

We have an eMac running Tiger at the moment and I want to stop our daughter from opening the DVD drive. We caught her opening it and forcing it shut (it didn't sound good) and don't want her doing it in the hopes that the old dog will last a bit longer.

Is there any easy way we can lock the DVD drive shut with any software at all to stop her opening it?

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You mean... physically? With software?

Right...

Get the Duct Tape 2.4 beta. It'll work wonders.

3. ChazUK thread starter macrumors 603

ChazUK

Are macromours users normally this helpful?

All I was after was some software to disable the eject key on the keyboard. My daughter is 3 years old and can not be told.

Thanks for all the top advice.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You said nothing about the eject key. I thought she was pulling the drive open and pushing it shut.

I could read when I was two, so I don't really understand why she can't be told not to do this, but I'm probably a special case.

Apple says that there is no supported way to disable eject functionality. Sorry about that.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Unfortunately there is no way to disable the eject key. How often do you use the optical drive? If rarely, you could pop off the eject key.

Either that or modify it so she gets an electric shock when she touches it...she'll learn sooner or later if she is more intelligent than a goat. ;)