Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Hi all.

We have an eMac running Tiger at the moment and I want to stop our daughter from opening the DVD drive. We caught her opening it and forcing it shut (it didn't sound good) and don't want her doing it in the hopes that the old dog will last a bit longer.

Is there any easy way we can lock the DVD drive shut with any software at all to stop her opening it?

Thanks.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Are macromours users normally this helpful?

All I was after was some software to disable the eject key on the keyboard. My daughter is 3 years old and can not be told.

Thanks for all the top advice.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Are macromours users normally this helpful?

All I was after was some software to disable the eject key on the keyboard. My daughter is 3 years old and can not be told.

Thanks for all the top advice.

You said nothing about the eject key. I thought she was pulling the drive open and pushing it shut.

I could read when I was two, so I don't really understand why she can't be told not to do this, but I'm probably a special case.

Apple says that there is no supported way to disable eject functionality. Sorry about that.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Unfortunately there is no way to disable the eject key. How often do you use the optical drive? If rarely, you could pop off the eject key.

Either that or modify it so she gets an electric shock when she touches it...she'll learn sooner or later if she is more intelligent than a goat. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.