Is There any Software to separate Music from a song????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ed4132, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Ed4132 macrumors regular

Hi

I am curious on this matter I have a lot of music and I want to have some songs only with the music without the voice of the singer is there a software out there to do that maybe I am asking for something impossible but if somebody have an idea I will appreciate your help

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Unless you have the original composited file, it is impossible. You can't take words off of an MP3.

3. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

There is a application called Vocal Remover that claims to remove vocals from MP3 tracks but I believe it is Windows only. If you are that desperate you could run Boot Camp or Qemulator.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Sure you can. I'm not completely sure how it works, but I think the software has the normal frequencies of a human voice and it scans the track for those. The song loses all sounds in that frequency range, and therefore loses quality.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, okay, sure; that, but it isn't possible without a loss in quality.

I've heard of people doing that, but it just doesn't seem like a proper solution to me.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I agree. I'm sure many people have been disappointed with the results.

7. dtk macrumors newbie

You can using Audacity, I've done it before, however sometimes the results aren't very good.

following taken from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=editing&i=remove-vocals:
    Can I remove the vocals from a recording to make a Karaoke track?

This is possible only for certain stereo tracks. When the vocals are exactly the same on both stereo channels, you can remove them by “subtracting” one channel from the other. This works for many studio recordings, where the vocal track is mixed exactly in the center.
    To do this in Audacity:
    1. Import your stereo file into Audacity.
    2. Open the track menu (click the arrow next to the track title), and choose “Split Stereo Track.”
    3. Select the lower track (the right channel) by clicking it in the area around the mute/solo buttons.
    4. Choose “Invert” from the Effects menu.
    5. Using the track menus, change each track to “Mono.”
    Press the Play button to hear the results. If you are lucky, the voice will be gone but most of the other instruments will be unaffected, just like a karaoke track. You can use the Export commands in the File menu to save the results.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

An electrical engineer who works with audio tells me that this is a waste of time; it results in severely degraded instruments and lousy vocals. The big problem is that vocal and instrument share a lot of the same frequencies.

9. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

To expand on what others have said:

What essentially you will need to do to extract the instrumental music is remove the vocals via phase cancelation. Without going into the complex nature of phase relations in waves what is happening is you are sending an equal an opposite signal into the audio every moment it is being generated.

(so if say the wave had an amplitude of 1dBSPL you are at the same time generating an signal of -1dBSPL, the resulting level being 0)

What DTK suggests is to use the right side of the stereo audio track to cancel out the left. In actuality to doesn't cancel out the left completely as there will information on the left that won't be on the right. As Vocals are nearly universally panned to the center of a stereo field you will notice that this will have the greatest reduction (unfortunately so will the bass, which suffers the most out of the frequency range)

In order to do this in your computer you will need a DAW that has sample accurate timing. This is a MUST (Logic and Pro Tools has this, maybe Audacity too. I'm not sure about Garage band.)

There is another way but it's a bit more long winded if you have vocal track on its own:

1. Set up both your stereo file and vocal track. Make sure vocals in the stereo track start at the EXACT time the individual vocal track does (down to the sample scale of the audio, failure to do this will produce incomplete cancellation)

2. In your vocal channel invert the phase of the signal, most DAW have a dedicated software plug in for this but a lot of eq plugins have them too.

3. Play the track, you will now notice the vocals are gone.

4. Bounce.

If not and the piece is repetitive with small sections of instrumental (even if it's just a bar of instruments without vocals but is the same as the backing track when the singer is on) cut this out. do this as much as you can, and line the cut out instrumental in a separate channel (you don't to move the original audio, you can just make a copy) when you have as much as you can, invert the phase. This will leave you with a bare vocal track (or as much as possible) and with this you can use it again on the stereo file as outlined above.

This is really good when you want to do remixes of tracks, especially hip hop or pop where the beat and music is pretty much the same throughout.

Hope this helps.

10. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

If I recall, Audion by Panic software used to do this with decent results.

11. badger.aditya macrumors newbie

badger.aditya

Sony Sound Forge or Adobe Audition you can try

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not worth the trouble. You're going to get garbled instrumentals and it'll be pretty obvious when the vocals were supposed to be happening.