Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psycho Therapis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Ever since I got this Beige G3, it has suffered from the known video panic in OS X, where it will just simply crash at seemingly random points, eg. launching a particular program or at times of heavy disk load.

A read a while back that removing the ATI graphics drivers would solve the problem, so I did and for a while, the problem seemed to go away. But after booting back into OS 9 one day, upon returning to OS X the problem re-appeared and is still there after an upgrade to Panther, from Jaguar (same also from a clean install of Panther).

So I'm wondering, is there any solution to the video panic problem, other than buying a PCI Graphics card?

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Psycho Therapis said:
Ever since I got this Beige G3, it has suffered from the known video panic in OS X, where it will just simply crash at seemingly random points, eg. launching a particular program or at times of heavy disk load.

A read a while back that removing the ATI graphics drivers would solve the problem, so I did and for a while, the problem seemed to go away. But after booting back into OS 9 one day, upon returning to OS X the problem re-appeared and is still there after an upgrade to Panther, from Jaguar (same also from a clean install of Panther).

So I'm wondering, is there any solution to the video panic problem, other than buying a PCI Graphics card?

have you tryed reseting pram and open firmware if not try it and if you cant get any answers here try here or here and try these fourms cause i found alot of help at these other forums about a beige G3 that i didnt get here

BTW what all hardware is installed is there any upgrades in it like cpu, vram, memory, any pci cards

Psycho Therapis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
madmax_2069 said:
have you tryed reseting pram and open firmware if not try it

Yeah I tried that when it first happened, it doesn't make a difference. :(

BTW what all hardware is installed is there any upgrades in it like cpu, vram, memory, any pci cards

RAM, PCI USB Card & a PCI Network card. It does the same thing with the original configuration too (well, almost original, I think it had a RAM upgrade before I originally bought it and I replaced the HDD with another of equal size - 6gb, because the previous one died.)

I think I read on one of those sites that you posted, the solution that I tried "removal of drivers". So I guess I'm just left with 1 option afterall, to get a PCI Graphics card. I might put my old Voodoo 3 card in it, I'll be stuck without any 2D/3D acceleration under OS X, but at least it will be stable until I find the time to put something better in there.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I've had a G3 300MHz tower now for over 7 years
and still haven't braved Panther.

I'm not even sure what video cards would fit in your machine, but a Radeon 7000 Mac edition worked wonders for me and allowed me to install my DVD burner.
check xlr8yourmac.com for compatibility and upgrades.

It's cool that you've got it running as well a you have, but your cost to performance ratio is dismal
when you can get an eMac or a mini for so little these days.

I gave up trying to run expostfacto on my G3 because I had read that there were video issues
and I didn't want to risk my DVD capabilites
trying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.