Is there any tips to prevent MacBook bending?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by purpletacoz, May 7, 2012.

1. purpletacoz macrumors newbie

So I just got me a MacBook pro, I've been reading online and a lot of people have been reporting that their MacBooks bend. Is there any way to prevent this? I usually hold mine open palm under when moving it around

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I've never heard of that. Just use common sense when moving your MBP and you should be just fine.

3. purpletacoz thread starter macrumors newbie

really? on the apple forums it was pretty common, from what ive heard it happened to a lot of people that would carry their macbook one handed and would grip it around the MagSafe and ethernet ports.

4. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

What do you mean by bending? Like the whole thing bending and becoming deformed? Or the base plate warping a bit?

5. ncaissie macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

My 15" MBP doesn't bend. 17" thing maybe? or just MacBook Airs?

6. lawhuiyiu macrumors newbie

I think it mainly happen to those previous version. I got several second-handed macbook pro, they all are bended, no gap between the bottom and the table.
    But it doesn't affect the performance.

7. purpletacoz thread starter macrumors newbie

here i looked up on google how it looks

Attached Files:

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Like i said, be careful and smart when moving it and that won't happen.

9. sweetbrat, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've had a 2008 MBP and now a 2011 and haven't had any bending. The best way to prevent it, I would think, is to not hold it with just one hand. Hold it on both sides so the weight is distributed better. It's safer for the MBP that way, anyways...you'll be less likely to drop it.

10. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

sounds like you know what not to do then

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That looks like it was dropped, it shouldn't bend like that just from holding it.

12. purpletacoz thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats was what i was reading on the mac forums. I'm not gonna lie this MacBook is a fine piece of art

13. SEGeologist macrumors member

My 2008 did something similar after coming back from a repair at the Genius center. I refused to take the unit home and called Cupertino. Short version, they sent a new 2010 after not being able to close the case or secure a monitor. Told the rep, this was not apple quality and cutting ones self may get the logic board wet and void my applecare.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My old 2008 Mac had deformed Ethernet ports to the extent of not being able to plug in a cable. I've also had some deforming of the Superdrive slot. When I carry my Mac, I just avoid gripping it sideways.

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The deformation shown in the pictures is not coming from just handling it.

16. Themegamacman macrumors member

What.....?

17. SEGeologist macrumors member

Just as it was written. As one would rest their palms right under the keyboard area to the left where the two pieces met was a popper section that would cut the side of your hand.

Needless to say I was not happy with the local genius bar people.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

These computers don't bend. Back before the unibody my 17" did actually bend. The middle of the computer would sag onto the table.

Now there are many reasons why it would look like people computers bend at the corner. Most likely these people have these computers with the hinge side toward the ground in their bags. Even with padding, the constant bumping combined with the aluminum being thinnest around the Ethernet port, may cause some sort of deformation. Again this is caused by putting your computer in a bag with the hinge side down and constantly bumping. As careful as most people think they are, this still happens. To avoid this, I put my computer with the latch facing down. Also consider using a heavier padded sleeve in addition to the padded computer bag can help. Even consider a less form fitting bag with allow computer movement instead of deformation.

The gist of it is, you don't have to worry about bending from holding it. I throw my laptops around and hold by the display all the time (which is even thinner than the unibody around the Ethernet port). Never had any issues.

If you're saying you're bleeding onto the computer, your posture is the issue. The palm rest is to rest your palms only, not have your wrists overhang on the edge. If the computer it too high move it onto your lap. Otherwise, use a rest gel to support your wrists.

19. Themegamacman macrumors member

Ohh, I thought you meant self-harm. I get it now.

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Don't stack heavy things on it?

21. purpletacoz thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i guess, i wasn't really planing on it in the first place. I swear I'm treating it like a baby right now haha

22. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I've seen a lot of damage from work, i'm with alphaod, I've not seen a unibody bend from something that wasn't some sort of drop or mishandling.

On the other hand, saw a lot of the pre-unibodies with the front mount optical drive squeezed down from no more than heavy palm pressure.

23. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

These things are pretty hard to bend. Avoid placing heavy objects with small surface area onto it. We have a 2009 MBP at home that has gone through slightly above average abuse and looks great.

(also, your second pic looks more like barrel distortion from the camera rather then a bent macbook. My camera does the same thing at macro level shooting)

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've had several MBP's mostly 15" & 17". Both sizes have been very durable. But then again, I simply close it before moving it. Macs sleep so quickly & reliably, I wouldn't think of grabbing it from some random spot to pick it up and move it.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've experienced the plastic ones bending, but I can't bend my aluminium unibody MBP even if I try...