Is there any utility to delete files unnecessary

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ed4132, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ed4132 macrumors regular

Hi

I download a trial software and I deleted it with AppZAp, in Application does not appear any more but some files still on my Mac as they appear whwn I use another software.

Is there any Software to delete all this files unnecessary from my Hard Disk, or maybe an Utility to run, I am new on Mac OS and I will appreciate any help on this matter

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

"Unnecessary" is very biased. Your home folder is unnecessary from one perspective. No program can know what is unnecessary for you. Apps like AppZapper and AppCleaner are helpful when uninstalling apps as they will attempt to track down preference files for the app you're getting rid of, but none of those are perfect. Most of the files left behind are small in size so don't cause issues in most cases. Some of the apps that spread files out more come with an uninstaller, but not always.

Edit: Actually, my "hint" is a partial solution. Create a new fresh account and delete the current one. That will get rid of those extra files. Otherwise reinstalling the OS is the best bet.