Is there any Video "stitching" software?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Flynnstone, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

With still photos, there are lots of "stitching" software packages. By stitching, I mean combining like in a panorama.

Is there the equivalent in the video world?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

If you want to see multiple video sources laid next to eachother on the screen at the same time? This is easily done in Final Cut ( Pro and Express ). If you want a program that will intelligently find the common bondries and create one large resolution clip, no I don't think there is such a thing.

Or perhaps are you saying you want to end up with a still frame as the result? You could conceivably export a clip where you are panning as individual frames and then stich them together in said photo stiching package.

Hope this helps!

3. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Yes that's basically what I was looking for.
    What about the wide (WIDE) screens at like hockey arenas? What software drives those?

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you mean an effect like "Cinerama" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama
    If so they do this with three or more cameras running at the same time, not with software in post production. But if the subject were not moving then you could take three video shots abd thebn composite them back together in Final Cut and shrink the result to fit on one screen with black bars top and bottom.

One thing I have tried is to make a panorama using my Nikon DSLR. The end result was about 11,000 pixels wide. I then made a video by "panning" a vertual camera over the still image. They are calling this the "Ken Burns" effect now. I used to do the same thing in the 1970's with an 8mm film camera and a printed image.

One other idea: There is a common video format used in the motion picture industry (but not in the video industry.) It is just one still image per frame where all the stills are in a common folder. They might have thousands of image files if the shot is long. the image file names are based on the frame number. It is the native format for some film scanner. Using this format you could apply the tools used for still images. You'd have to script it. People have actually used Photoshop on these files

It is still not clear what you have and what you want.

5. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Getting there.
    We're taking a picture of the inside of a cylinder, then need to display it.
    But the screens in this picture. A bit hard to see, but between the upper and lower seats there is a WIDE screen with scrolling video etc.
    What drives these things?

Attached Files:

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Actually, there are examples of where this is done for video editing. Apple Shake comes to mind, which by the way would be a great (read: high-end, if utmost quality is your goal) tool to composite multiple videos into one.

Flynnstone, I must admit I do not fully understand your last message. Is this display just really, really wide? What is the total number of pixels on the display?

- Martin

7. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Yes. I don't know how many pixels. If I find out, I'll post.

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

The reason I ask is, could you get by with just cropping (vertically) a video with a standard aspect ratio?

- Martin

9. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

From Tampa Lightnings arena

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

If its anything like the thing over the strip in Vegas I believe you find out the pixel resolution, i think you did, and create a custom video canvas of that size.

then create the work within that frame?