Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emily302313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2017
My iPhone 5S won't turn on and is unresponsive. My iPhone has recently been playing up where you have to hold the charger slightly to one side in order for it to charge. However, a few days ago it wouldn't charge at all, and the charging symbol isn't showing. Also, the home button broke a while back, I've still tried to hold the home and power buttons down although nothing happened. I also tried connecting it to the computer with a brand new lightning cable, but still the phone didn't respond, and iTunes didn't recognise that anything had been connected.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My iPhone 5S won't turn on and is unresponsive. My iPhone has recently been playing up where you have to hold the charger slightly to one side in order for it to charge. However, a few days ago it wouldn't charge at all, and the charging symbol isn't showing. Also, the home button broke a while back, I've still tried to hold the home and power buttons down although nothing happened. I also tried connecting it to the computer with a brand new lightning cable, but still the phone didn't respond, and iTunes didn't recognise that anything had been connected.

With all the issues you're experiencing, it's likely in need of replacement or replacing the battery.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Take it to the Apple Store and get the price of repair and make your choices from there. If you do not want to spend a lot of money you may be able to get a new battery and home button installed but with labor you are approaching the worth of the device.

Find out how much, that is free and the go from there.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's possible that you just have a lot of pocket lint or debris in the lightning port. Try cleaning it out with a toothpick.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's possible that you just have a lot of pocket lint or debris in the lightning port. Try cleaning it out with a toothpick.

I don't disagree pocket lint can prohibit the iPhone from charging, but I think there is more going on here with the battery indicator not responding and it sounds like the phone is in poor shape, being it's at least two years old.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015

Don't forget - there is a recall on right now for that phone through Apple.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

Plug in your serial number - and see if it is one of the affected that have the wake button issue. I couldn't restore using home/wake either. Mine had the button issue, and had also developed a battery issue and Apple took care of it all for me free of charge...

SORRY - I though it was your WAKE button that was broken....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Sounds like the connector where you plug in the lightning cable is broken. If you live near an Apple Store, take it in and have them look at it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sounds like it has many issues and time to move on.
See if Apple can help you out with a replacement. If they try to charge you $269 for a replacement I wouldn't bother wasting the money and would just get an SE or something newer with that money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.