Is there any way to boost wifi coverage by using wired computers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, May 6, 2009.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I know this is highly unlikely to be possible but is there any way to boost wifi coverage of a wireless router with the use of wired computers that also have wifi.

We live in a three story townhouse. Our wifi router is right next to the primary phoneline at the front door so as to get maximum adsl connection speeds. However, luckily the previous owner of the house decided to wire up the whole house with wired ethernet (much to my glee when we moved in and I spotted all the network points). I've currently got three wired macs in the house, one on the bottom floor in my office (mac pro), one on the first floor in the lounge (Mac Mini) and one in the attic (iMac for server use). The Mac Mini and the iMac are on 100% of the time and the Mac Pro is on probably 95% of the time.

Is there any way to use the wifi on all these three machines to boost the coverage of my existing wireless network? Our laptops and iPhones don't get particularly good reception on the top floor at the moment.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im not sure if thats possible. Could you purchase an extender for your wireless network. For example if you are using a time capsule you can set WDS up and buy an express to 'extend the network'. It basically acts as a wireless node to the Time Capsule. If not try this ....

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-boost-your-wi-fi-using-a-strainer-16112/

(mabye not);)

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

If you run CAT 5 all over your house from your Router, you can share your Internet connection via wifi. For example, if you have the router next to the front door and have a desktop on the third floor, you could run a wire from the router to the desktop and setup internet sharing. This should cover your whole house. Another option, with less headaches, would be to try to find a way to put the router on the second floor. You should get coverage by moving it higher.

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah I realise I can share the network from the other computers but that would, as far as I know, be a seperate wifi network, not an extension of the original one.

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

WDS. Learn to love it. You'll need at least an additional AP, but it's probably your best solution.