Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boveejg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Does anyone know a setting or application that will let you surf the web without it knowing that you're using an iphone? I'm trying to prevent the iphone-only and mobile-only web pages from popping up - i.e. default to full web pages.

I think if i could disable WAP that might work...
Thanks.

boveejg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone know anything about this? I might be asking the question wrong but I'm sure you know what I mean... Thanks!

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I think the answer may be to use a third party browser that does not identify itself as a mobile phone version.

I know there are lots of browsers available in both the App Store and in Cydia, but I don't know which ones this would be true for. However, i guess their developers will respond if you ask them and tell them what you're looking for.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Anyone know anything about this? I might be asking the question wrong but I'm sure you know what I mean... Thanks!

I know what you mean. I had the same problem earlier today. I logged into ebay on the iphone but I was presented with a cut down version of the site. It was very annoying especially as the iPhone can handle normal pages so well.

Mobile pages are great when you want them but there are times you wish you had the option.

I wonder when they'll do FireFox for the iPhone.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
It's got nothing to do with WAP - WAP is a totally different internet protocol for slow devices with small screens. The iPhone doesn't actually support WAP.

What happens with the iPhone is, web developers, for whatever reason, write code to check the user-agent header in the HTTP request from the browser and redirect to iPhone-specific pages.

I believe if you have a jailbroken iPhone, you can change the user-agent header. If not, you can use a proxy like anonymouse.org (although you get adverts with it). Or use one of the third party browsers as suggested earlier.

boveejg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Yes, I read a little bit about the user-agent & it did seem to be dealing with what I was trying to do, but I don't know enough about it to try to manipulate it. I'll try to look into it some more and see if maybe an app or other browser might work.

Does anyone know if there's a way to set more preferences or options for safari on the iphone? Maybe that would do the trick...

boveejg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Solution to the problem...

Thanks to a reply on another page from "Sipart" I found a solution:

"Only solution is available to jailbroken iphones/touches with SBSettings (from Cydia) installed.

Download User Agent Faker from Cydia (switch for SBSettings) and switch it on and Google thinks you are browsing from Firefox. After that all my igoogle feeds work perfectly, and tabs work again.

Cheers"

cb09

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2009
If you are looking to disable the WAP then here you go:

This is a guide for those of you thinking of getting the iPhone but don’t want to pay for the ridiculous data plan or already have the iPhone and want to get rid of the data plan. *

For those of you that didn’t know, the AT&T forces iPhone customers to get a data plan when they purchase the iPhone 3G.* The data plan is $30 dollars a month without any text messages. *

I had the previous iPhone and now have the 3G iPhone and both times was successfully able to get rid of the data plan without any problems.* If you call AT&T to get rid of it they’ll say no, but there is a way to slightly manipulate the situation to get rid of the plan:
1. *Get an old phone compatible with AT&T or Cingular.* You should have one considering you just got an iPhone or planning to get one.* If you don’t have an AT&T phone, just call your previous service provider to unlock your previous phone, takes a few minutes
2. After purchasing the iPhone and it’s service plan, call AT&T customer service, or you can chat with them through their website.
3. Tell them you just got iPhone but you’re thinking of returning the phone but want to keep the voice plan since you’ll be using a different phone (you’re allowed to return the phone but keep the service).* Make sure to tell them to get rid of the data since you’re no longer using an iPhone.
4. If you’ve already had the iPhone for a few months then just tell them you’re no longer planning to use it so you don’t need the data plan but would like to keep the service on a basic service.
5. The rep will ask you for the serial number of your other phone.* Give them that.
6. They’ll then ask you to take the SIM card out of the iPhone and put it into the other phone.
7. Once you see service is working, ask them to block out the Internet service (WAP) completely.* This will come in handy later. *
8. After you’re done hang up and switch the SIM card back to the iPhone.
9. On the top right hand corner you should no longer see the 3G data sign, which means you no longer have data service. *
10. The reason for asking to completely block out Internet service (WAP) is so that if you accidentally hit the Safari browser you don’t get charged per kilobyte, which can get expensive.
11. Now with wi-fi you can access the Internet.* There are some people who believe you get charged for using wi-fi, YOU DON’T.* If the wi-fi is free, ATT cannot charge you for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.