Is there any way to easily reorder clips in a project by chronological order?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by oxband, Sep 7, 2016.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I'm going through the selects of a feature I'm working on. I finally went through all the footage and have highlights, and now I want to go through the hours of highlights.

Before doing so, I would love to have everything laid out in the project chronologically. I can't figure out an easy way to do this. Thoughts?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

It would probably help if we knew which Application you were using for your project.

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

4. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

FCPX is optimally designed to do this in the Event Browser -- before adding to a timeline. That is where you make your selects via either favorites or keywords. This is a nice feature since the selects can be ranges, not just clips. Then you can sort those by date (gear icon>sort by content created). Then you add those to the timeline.

If you have already added them to the timeline, you can simply filter on Used Media then select/copy/paste those clip ranges to a new project, and they will retain the sorted chronological order.

If you ever find the clip creation time is in error (e.g, camera clock wasn't set), this can be adjusted within FCPX by selecting the clips in the Event Browser in List View, then Modify>Adjust clip date and time. It can optionally also adjust the creation date/time of the file itself.