Is there any way to fix my mighty mouse??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 88888888, Aug 28, 2008.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

My mighty mouse is acting funky... it will only scroll down.. but it cant scroll up.:(

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Clean the trackball by turning the mouse upside down and rubbing it around on a cloth slightly moistened with water or rubbing alcohol (what I use). That should fix it.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Have you tried searching the forum. This gets asked about 5 times a week.

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

get a small item like a twist-tie to dislodge anything from out of there, place it between the edge of the scroll wheel and work around it and it should get out anything in there.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

the metal wire in the twist tie might scratch the inner mechanics of the mighty mouse... and to the OP, just a quick wipe with a damp cloth and rubbing of the scroll ball will give it back it's mightiness. and please search the forums next time! i've seen at least a few threads about this issue...

6. Jookbox macrumors 6502

i fixed mine by smashing it and buying an MX revolution.

7. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

that sounds too good to be true, and certainly didnt work when i tried it. good job mine fixed itself all on its own one day

8. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Well, it has worked for me every time, and is what Apple also recommends.

9. hhlee macrumors 6502

lol, that's exactly what i did as well.

10. Supersonic macrumors regular

Another vote for the 'turn it upside down, roll it around and around for 2 minutes on a tactile surface' method..

I do it every two or three months now, works every time!

11. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I've used all of the methods, short of taking the Mighty Mouse apart, that have been described in these forums. Now, none of them works for more than a few minutes. It's true: this question is asked in the forums about 5 times a week. Doesn't that tell us something? This product is a piece of junk. I mean really, pay that much money and it requires more maintenance than a vintage Jaguar! I am totally an Apple fanatic (and even a small stockholder), so I am always inclined to give the company the benefit of the doubt. Keeping the Mighty Mouse working should not be a part time job; it's a MOUSE for goodness sake!!! Apple has had plenty of time to work this out: the scroll ball has been an issue since day one.