is there ANY way to get mywi without rock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Vinnie Madrox, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

i have an iphone 4. im trying to update my fiance's 3gs from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 {SHSH's saved}. i got it into DFU mode and hooked it up to her laptop, but itunes said it has to contact the internet to do the restore......problem is, her 3gs with mywi {no rock} is her only means of internet. she doesn't have internet at home. so i can't connect to the internet via mywi if her phone is in DFU mode obviously.

i want to install mywi on my iphone 4, but i REALLY don't want to have rock on my phone.......is there ANY way to do this? it's jailbroken 4.0.1. i don't really want to try itether cause it looks too complicated and i know mywi works great {had it on my 3gs 3.1.2}

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not Officially, There are some non piracy options (hacks) you can do to retain the licences and remove Rock, however they lock you out of updates and if a dependent package updates then it breaks (if you paid for it you wouldn't want that).

Developer is already working on Rock free version, MyWi was already update to not use RockExtensions, so the only reason is currently using Rock is for licences. Give it some time and it will be update.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If there's a version of 4.0.1 that you can d/l from iclarified, then you won't need to connect to the internet. All you would need to do is hold option+restore and you'll be able to upgrade.
    Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but you may not not need mywi to help out your fiancee.

5. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

I was following iclarified's method, but when i put the phone is DFU mode and connected it to itunes, itunes told me it couldn't connect to the server to get the phone's info or something. I have the firmware on my desktop and her phone was in DFU mode....but i have to be connected to a network i guess :-/ i'll just bring it to my house and donit this morning

6. IMADV8 macrumors member

iTunes is trying to get the SHSH's from Apple during the restore. Saurik's server impersonates Apple during this process to provide your saved SHSH's, but since you obviously can't connect to that either, you should try Firmware Umbrella's TSS server option.

7. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Take the laptop to McDonald's, buy a happy meal & ride the free WiFi. Or sit outside & look like a stalker while surfing the WiFi.