Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Apparently there is no group messaging? Or at least if you are a part of a group message of iPhone users but on Android, you are excluded from the group message? Is there a fix for this? I don't group message often, but it's sort of annoying really! :confused:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Apparently there is no group messaging? Or at least if you are a part of a group message of iPhone users but on Android, you are excluded from the group message? Is there a fix for this? I don't group message often, but it's sort of annoying really! :confused:

Of you're on AT&T, you can try AT&T Messages.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Are you on Jellybean? Group messaging was integrated with JB and I have no trouble group texting (and receiving) my friends with an iPhone.

Alternatively, you can use Facebook Messenger to group your texts for you (and also integrated FB chat). I switched my native message app to FB Messenger as I really liked the Chat Heads notifications.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Unfortunately I'm still only on 4.1.1 with my GS3(AT&T), and group messaging was introduced with 4.2 Hoping AT&T catches up, as all of the other US carriers have received the upgrade.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It all depends on the app. Some stock Android messaging apps to a particular manufacture will not group message. For example I have a friend with a Motorola Droid of some sort and the stock messaging app groups fine. Whereas I have a friend with a Samsung S2 and the stock messaging app won't group.

You can download an app like go SMS pro (and in settings turn on group messaging) and it should group like it does on an iPhone. No one else is required to use that messaging app as it replaces the stock app.

There are other apps you may prefer so just try some out.

And I know you didn't ask but regardless of app you use it will not use Apples proprietary iMessage service. So its mildly annoying to be the only Android user in a group of iPhone users. I'm in a constant group of 6 friends and one is an Android user so none of us can iMessage.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It all depends on the app. Some stock Android messaging apps to a particular manufacture will not group message. For example I have a friend with a Motorola Droid of some sort and the stock messaging app groups fine. Whereas I have a friend with a Samsung S2 and the stock messaging app won't group.

You can download an app like go SMS pro (and in settings turn on group messaging) and it should group like it does on an iPhone. No one else is required to use that messaging app as it replaces the stock app.

There are other apps you may prefer so just try some out.

And I know you didn't ask but regardless of app you use it will not use Apples proprietary iMessage service. So its mildly annoying to be the only Android user in a group of iPhone users. I'm in a constant group of 6 friends and one is an Android user so none of us can iMessage.
Oddly enough, I hopped on my Mac to continue the group message, and one of the iPhone users didn't have iMessage enabled. Hilarious!

runnerchick13

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
Are you on Jellybean? Group messaging was integrated with JB and I have no trouble group texting (and receiving) my friends with an iPhone.

Alternatively, you can use Facebook Messenger to group your texts for you (and also integrated FB chat). I switched my native message app to FB Messenger as I really liked the Chat Heads notifications.

Hi, just wondering what settings you have enabled for your group messaging to work? I have the group messaging turned on in MMS options, so if I send a message to a couple friends on iphones, it shows up as a group conversation on my phone, but they all receive the messages individually. Any ideas? I'm running 5.0.1 on a galaxy s4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.