Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Is there any way to keep a stock iPhone from auto-downloading 7.1?

I've seen random posts saying it only auto-downloads firmware when BOTH connected to wifi + plugged in. Is this true? If so then as long as you turn off wifi before plugging it in will your iPhone never auto-download new firmware?

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
I do not remember any of my devices downloading and installing an update. I think it should notify you it is available and YOU choose.

You aren't understanding my original question.

You think I'm asking if there is a way to stop the iPhone from downloading AND installing a new update (I'm not asking this).

What I'm asking is if there is any way to keep the iPhone from downloading the update to begin with so it doesn't take up space and show a badge on the settings app.

Don't worry about replying Newtons Apple. From the first response I know you won't have the answer to my question. Thanks though.

If anyone else has the answer to my question I would appreciate it :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Tons of posts about this at the IOS6 section. IOS6 people POed about being forced to download 7. But same idea.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
I use wifi and plug in at night yet the badge has been on my device for days, it has not auto downloaded or auto upgraded. Just move your settings to a new page so you don't have to see the badge :)

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Or jailbreak and get rid of it completely.

I try to keep my phone on jailbreakable firmware for maximum resale value and ease of sale when upgrading.

If I were to jailbreak then I wouldn't be able to reset the device without upgrading to 7.1 :(

But by staying on stock 7.0.6 I can simply "erase all content and settings" (which I couldn't do if I were jailbroken) to keep it on 7.0.6 and be confident that there aren't any files of mine left on the device when I sell it to a stranger.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Apple is basically forcefully letting people update their iPhone's. It's one of the things they handle very, very poorly. I've had my girlfriend stuck with an iPhone 4 and iOS 6 Downloading 7.0 automatically and there was no way for her to get rid of it.

We actually almost got in a fight, because she couldn't fathom that a company was actually taking up space forcefully on her device. Just so she would upgrade. Apple needs to address this, but as far as I know for stock firmware there's no solution for this.

Edit:
Actually just found this: SETTINGS > iTunes and App Store > Turn off automatic updates

Last edited:

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I try to keep my phone on jailbreakable firmware for maximum resale value and ease of sale when upgrading.

If I were to jailbreak then I wouldn't be able to reset the device without upgrading to 7.1 :(

But by staying on stock 7.0.6 I can simply "erase all content and settings" (which I couldn't do if I were jailbroken) to keep it on 7.0.6 and be confident that there aren't any files of mine left on the device when I sell it to a stranger.

That's funny, you are worried about maximum resale value. Maybe just a few bucks difference. Wow

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I'm on Wifi and plugged in and there's no badge or auto-download, still on 7.0.6 with my usual unused storage.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
make sure there isn't enough free space for it to download.

Didn't auto download on my 5s but did on my iPad (had enough space on either) so I'm not sure why - I do do auto app updates on iPad but not iPhone.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
That's funny, you are worried about maximum resale value. Maybe just a few bucks difference. Wow

Jailbroken and/or unlocked can make a significant difference. $100+ Almost enough to buy another iPhone 5s on contract at current Wal-Mart prices. ;)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I had no idea that it auto-downloads. Are we sure this happens? What is the point of this? If they give you the option to install (or not), what good does it do to have you pull the file from the server if you might not even use it? Maybe the thought process is that it will download overnight so that they user can have a seemingly quicker install when he does decide to update?

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
Supposedly iOS 7.1 will allow you to delete the downloaded update if you choose not to upgrade.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
make sure there isn't enough free space for it to download.

If someone knows of a simpler solution to prevent the auto-downloading I'll use that but I personally won't go so far as to completely fill up my phones memory.

Jailbroken and/or unlocked can make a significant difference. $100+ Almost enough to buy another iPhone 5s on contract at current Wal-Mart prices. ;)

Thank you for seeing my point. Some posters are idiots and feel the need to criticize others for anything (over something as simple as resale value). I tend to ignore those types. I glad there is someone out there like you though who can appreciate the difference a mint condition, unlocked iPhone with jailbreakable firmware can fetch :)

I had no idea that it auto-downloads. Are we sure this happens? What is the point of this? If they give you the option to install (or not), what good does it do to have you pull the file from the server if you might not even use it? Maybe the thought process is that it will download overnight so that they user can have a seemingly quicker install when he does decide to update?

Yep, they probably do it just to make it easier for simple users to update. Makes sense too for things like security updates since those simple users might not read the news and know there is a SSL security bug unless you pushed the update on them.

Unfortunately though, I just got a notification that iOS 7.1 auto-downloaded :(

Not the end of the world as I can ignore it for now, it's just an annoyance at 246mb. My main concern though is what happens if iOS 8 is a big file size (say >1GB) and my phone downloads that too! Where do the downloads end?

I would at least like a simple way to ensure my phone doesn't download stuff that I don't approve.

Supposedly iOS 7.1 will allow you to delete the downloaded update if you choose not to upgrade.

Nope. I'm looking at it now under Settings -> General -> Software Update and the ONLY option it gives me is to install it (which I am obviously not going to do).

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

Jailbreak will come out eventually. When do you plan on selling? There isn't anything new right now.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It sucks that you get no option of downloading it or not and its taking up space for nothing. But unfortunately there isn't anything you can do on that firmware version.
Good thing with ios 7.1 they addressed this nonsense.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
I meant the option to delete downloaded update was supposedly added in 7.1. Since you are still on 7.0.x you do not have that option yet.

Last edited:

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
It sucks that you get no option of downloading it or not and its taking up space for nothing. But unfortunately there isn't anything you can do on that firmware version.
Good thing with ios 7.1 they addressed this nonsense.

I meant the option to delete downloaded update was supposedly added in 7.1. Since you are still on 7.0.x you do not have that option yet.

Ah! Sorry blarivee I misunderstood your earlier post. I am happy to hear that future iOS versions give you the option of deleting the download you do not want. At least if they come out with a future iOS jailbreak I will be able to update to that firmware and delete any useless downloads I don't need. Thank you both for the information :)

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
So... just wanted to update the thread with my findings.

For some reason iOS 7.1 auto-downloading onto my device (not that I was going to actually install it) actually took up nearly 3gb of "other" space! :eek:

"**** that!" I said. So I ended up "erase all content and settings" to keep my phone on 7.0.6 and get rid of the 7.1 download.

Now, after a week of testing, I verified that 7.1 ONLY downloads if you have your iPhone plugged and have WIFI turned on.

So now I am simply conscious before I plug in my phone to make sure I turn off WIFI before I do so. Might not be the best solution, but I'll take that any day over loosing a quarter of my space to "other data"

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So... just wanted to update the thread with my findings.

For some reason iOS 7.1 auto-downloading onto my device (not that I was going to actually install it) actually took up nearly 3gb of "other" space! :eek:

"**** that!" I said. So I ended up "erase all content and settings" to keep my phone on 7.0.6 and get rid of the 7.1 download.

Now, after a week of testing, I verified that 7.1 ONLY downloads if you have your iPhone plugged and have WIFI turned on.

So now I am simply conscious before I plug in my phone to make sure I turn off WIFI before I do so. Might not be the best solution, but I'll take that any day over loosing a quarter of my space to "other data"

Yep, that's exactly what happens and how it works.
It auto downloads it when you're plugged in charging and connected to wifi.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't have a problem with it because I stay on the latest update. However I could see why this would upset people. You'd think Apple would change this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.