Is there any way to know when I am using Turbo Boost?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, May 11, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I bought a 2.6/8/256 late 2013 13" MBPr.

I know it can turbo boost to 3.1 GHz, but is there any way to know when it is turbo boosting?

Also, what do I have to do so that it would turbo boost? Like what apps would make it turbo boost?

Last question, can I leave turbo boost on all the time? It'd be cool to run my machine at 3.1 GHz.

2. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

It would be pointless to run it at 3.1 all the time. Basically, when you are doing something intensive (using a lot of CPU time), your CPU cores will dynamically clock themselves higher (upto 3.1). If you continued to run them at 3.1, the heat of the processor would get too high, and then it would throttle. It knows when it needs the power, and it can supply it almost instantly. It's not the sort of thing that you notice happening, it is something you would notice if it wanted happening.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok so what are some apps or things I can do to turn it on? Would Call of Duty make my computer need to turbo boost?

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Likely not, in modern computers games are more limited by graphics capacity than CPU capacity...

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Intel Power Gadget will tell you.

Intel processors will TurboBoost all the time until temperatures get too high, and even so, it'll still over clock, but at a lower rate.

Running the Macoh test (https://github.com/qnxor/macoh) didn't throttle my CPU at all, and it remained at 3.7-3.8GHz throughout the stress test (15" rMBP, 2.6/16/1TB/750M model)