Is there any way to remove extended Applecare from a laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by angemon89, Nov 1, 2008.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Ok, so I bought my BlackBook on Craigslist about a week ago. Great laptop, everything works great.

The guy who sold it to me originally mentioned that it only included the complimentary 1 year of Applecare, however, when I look up the serial number it says it's covered until 2011.

On his original purchasing receipt(he included it with the MacBook) I can see that he purchased the extended Applecare along with his MacBook so he could get the discounted price.

Yesterday he emailed me asking if I wanted to buy the Applecare from him. I responded and told him that I thought the Applecare had already been applied? He said no, it hasn't been applied, and that if that were the case he would have charged me for the laptop because it would have included extended Applecare. I told him to look up the serial so he could see that it does have the extended Applecare already, and I haven't heard back from him since.

Anyway, what I want to is how come he didn't know that the Applecare had already been applied? Does it automatically get added to your laptop when you purchase them together on the same receipt or something? More importantly though, is there someway he can have it removed?

2. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

For applecare to be transferred to a new owner, you have to fax or e-mail a transfer form with the name, address, phone number of the new owner and the serial # of the laptop and proof of purchase of the applecare. (a receipt from where you bought it, ebay invoice, etc.) You can get a refund for unused applecare coverage by calling apple and going through some steps to cancel the applecare coverage on the machine.

In short, if he doesn't transfer applecare to you, he can cancel the applecare policy and get money back from apple.

3. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Ah, ok. I did not know that you have to transfer Applecare. I guess I'm going to have to buy it from him in order for him to agree to transfer the Applecare to me then.