Is there any way to right click and make a text file?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Nov 27, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

Is there any way to make it so when you right click you can make a text file similar to how Windows does it?

I looked around and saw a few programs that would do it but they had not so nice reviews. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to do it by using terminal or something.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm guessing you should be able to create a keyboard shortcut for this function:
    ScreenCap 14.PNG

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

No, there isn't.

What exactly do you need to do? Obviously you can make a text file using any of a dozen different text editors, but you seem to want something more specific. If you can explain what or why, someone might be able to suggest something.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

cmd+shift+y will take selected text into Stickies on a new note.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys.

@Interrobang - You know how in Windows you can right click in either explorer or on the desktop and click new -> Text File? Thats what I want to be able to do on Mac.

Like if I have a folder with a bunch of projects and I want to write a project description I can just right click in the Finder within the project folder, click New -> TextEdit and then write in it instead of having to open up text edit, create a document then move it to the project folder.

I hope that made sense.:eek:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This falls into the general category of trying to make a Mac behave like a Windows PC (or vice versa), which is often a losing proposition, but...

One option would be to use Automator. You should be able to create an appropriate Automator action in a couple of minutes and then it would show up under "More" in the contextual menu.

Another option might be to install the TextWrangler text editor -- I think it comes with contextual menu plugins, although as noted above, I'm not sure if these are still supported in Lion.

7. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you for the suggestion. I've never thought about Automator. I've never really delved in to it so I'll take a look.

Admittedly its a strange request but it would be really helpful for how I organize projects.

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

If your looking for more options than Automator can offer, AppleScript is also good for this kind off stuff.