Is there ANY WAY to run two monitors on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andymac2210, Sep 4, 2012.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

Ok, so previously I had my setup as basically a PC and a Mac, now I've got a new 2012 cMBP I have no need for the PC anymore except for occasional gaming.

However, I'd really like to run two monitors off of it.

Herein lies the problem, firstly I just cannot afford to buy apple's thunderbolt displays, nor do I even want to.
    I have two perfectly good dell 24" IPS displays that are great (and non reflective), so the thunderbolt option is out.

Second, I've looked into the USB solutions and from what I've read, they're basically crap, they're buggy and glitchy and people have all sorts of problems with them.
    Not really a road I want to go down.

I looked at the matrox, except that seems to be similarly buggy as the usb solutions, not to mention it's basically an extended desktop and not separate displays.

I really don't understand how there aren't (that I can find), thunderbolt peripherals to split a single TB port into two, to run two external DVI displays.
    TB carries what, 10GB both ways?
    Come on now.

Are there any options for me out there?
    I'd really appreciate peoples input on this.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Looks like you've already done you're research. Either settle with a mini dp to HDMI and a USB option or get a matrox adaptor. There doesnt seem to be any other way around this, aside from purchasing two TB displays and daisy chaining them, a very expensive solution!!!

3. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I don't think a splitter thru a displayport/thunderbolt will work because there is no way to route the 2 signals separately through the right port. Maybe software will solve this but I havent researched that.

The only one I've seen mirrors 2 displays from one mini display port (like if you wanted to do a presentation with multiple monitors) via dual DVI out and is sold by monoprice. They also sell a Duall HDMI as well i believe.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011409&p_id=8118&seq=1&format=2

4. Bilalo macrumors 6502

You could connect up to 3 external displays if im not wrong, now how exactly I dont know but Im guessing, one is HDMI and the other 2 being thunderbolt or thunderbolt to HDMI adapters so 3 HDMI cables, then you open display in system preferences and fix things from there

5. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

It's kind of annoying apple doesn't provide a solution to do this, except buy they're incredibly reflective (though I'm sure nice looking at night) TB displays.

They provide 3 outputs for external displays on the rMBP, the MBP with the least need for external displays. :confused:

6. stuaz macrumors 6502

My windows laptop for work doesn't have the support for two external displays - I just use a USB convertor which works fine going to two 22" screens.

As you already stated, Apple's solution is Thunderbolt and HDMI really which will be the norm in a year or so as the current MBP design is obsolete.