Is there any way to split an iTunes library between two different HDDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MikeyTree, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

My itunes library is getting a bit too big for my computer's hard drive. I'd like to put part of it on an external drive, but want to keep most of my music on my computer's HD. Say, by moving all my podcasts to the external, or moving all "unchecked" files to the external.

Is this even remotely possible?

If not, is it possible to create two "libraries", each on a different HD, and have them both load on to my ipod?

2. HJI macrumors newbie

Multitunes

Maybe by adding music from your external hdd to your library without copying it (part is in your itunes music folder, part is on your external drive).
    But it is not so easy to see which music is "available" since the tracks will be shown in your list without being accessible (when your drive is not connected for example).
    Using a powerbook I have the same problem. With limited harddisk-space I have 3 libraries, which I can switch from within itunes by using the multitunes-plug-in: 1 containing my local stuff, one my external drive + local stuff and one with only links to my kplaylist-server!