Is there any way to tether without jailbreaking in 3.1.3?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jamesryanbell, Feb 15, 2010.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'm still running 3.0.1 solely because of the BenM hack. I use tethering all the time, and it's super nice to have it when you need it. Having said that, I've searched the forums, but I just figured you guys might know of something that I haven't heard of yet.

Is there anything similar to the BenM hack that you can do to enable tethering without jailbreaking?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no. dont update to 3.1.3, because, your current os, can have the benm tethering hack, and can be jailbroken. 3.1.3 cant use the tethering hack, nor can it be jailbroken. only on some devices.

3. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

You can tether using iProxy.
    Which is an internet sharing app - like Netshare.

iProxy is not available on the App store. But the source-code is available and if you have developer status, you can install it yourself.

C.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

why cant the developer just gives us the provisioning profiles and the source code? also what website is it available at? i dont have a developer status but my phone is jailbroken so i dont need provisioning profiles.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Isn't it possible to get tethering to work by changing the carrier profile?

6. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Not anymore. The carrier profiles have to be signed.
    It turns out that carriers like to charge extra for tethering.

C.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope. No way unless you jb your iPhone or have originally purchased netsharr from the AppStore.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Not all carriers charge for tethering.

But what do you mean when you say the carrier profiles have to be signed? When I went to the U.S. I had to create an AT&T profile to get data to work on my iPhone (because I was using pay as you go) and it worked fine. Are the profiles that enable tethering different in some way?

9. Woomy123 macrumors regular

mine must be one of those devices because mine iphone was jailbroken (just for the tether hack) and then i updated 2 mins ago to 3.1.3 and i can still tether brilliant :D

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got lucky:)
    when you restored from backup some of your jb stuff carried over.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Sweet, I didn't know this. Now I can put my developer certificates to good use. :D

(need more time to work on my out of work projects, right now, just collecting dust)

12. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Any links to more info on this? I know generally what you mean, but I have no clue about how to apply the source code or attaining developer status.

13. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

It's not easy. Not difficult either, just lots of steps.
    For free you can download the iProxy source and the XCode development software and iPhone SDK from Apple's iPhone developer portal.

But in order to run the app on an actual iPhone you need to pay $99 for the developer status. This enables you to create certificates which enable your iPhone for development. This process does not require any developer knowledge, but there is a lot of burocracy and stages to complete.

Once you get this. It's pretty easy to load the iProxy project into XCode and install it on your phone.

iProxy itself is not very convenient.
    You need to create a local wireless network on your Notebook.
    Connect the iPhone to that network. Using static IPs
    and then use the notebook's network settings to point to a Socks5 proxy.

So in summary
    * pay your 99 dollars
    * download the SDK
    * create a provisioning certificate
    * install iProxy
    * perform the awkward voodoo to enable tethering.

It's not a very slick or particularly good value solution. But it does allow tethering without jail breaking.
    If you have doubts (and you should) - I would read-up on these steps before slapping down your money.

C.

14. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

sorry for my stupidity, but where can i find iProxy source code?

also, has anyone been caught by at&t tethering?

m

15. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

16. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

17. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

18. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I finally got it all setup and installed on my phone yesterday. The reason being is that the office I am in today is rarely used so we don't maintain an internet connection, but that makes for one dull day. So I set it up yesterday and had no problems with it today. There are two drawbacks, it seems to only work for Web, not email services, those don't seem to work big :(. And if you get a phone call, you lose your network connection.

But otherwise, it's great for general surfing.

19. amp5 macrumors newbie

3GS 3.1.3 non-MC model with 05.12.01 boot ROM

I have iPhone 3GS, it is one of the old models, non-MC, model: MB715LL. I was able to tether with BenM heck under 3.0 however as soon as I heard my employer was giving out aircards I upgraded to 3.1.3 but instead of an aircard we got new laptop with integrated CDMA modem running on Sprint EVDO Rev A network. So basically I lost flexibility to tether my personal computers. I read on Redmond Pie that sn0wbreez can jailbreak 3.1.3 but have to be non-MC model, which I have. However my boot ROM is 05.12.01. So I would like to know if jailbreak is possible to enable tethering. Is the model has to be non-MC and boot ROM has to be older version or as long as its non-MC model, one should be able to jailbreak 3GS on 3.1.3?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not possible to JB a 3GS on 3.1.3 no matter what you try to use.
    Snowbreeze can update a JB a 3.1.2 iphone to 3.1.3 thats it.

21. kskcheche macrumors newbie

I have the iPhone 3G that already came with 3.1.3 and the new baseband 5.12.01, so downgrading isnt an option bummer I know. I believe it is the non-MC model. Can sn0wbreeze jailbreak this? Or do I have to get the developer status for another $99?

I got screwed at the store when I asked if it could tether to my laptop and they said yes, my mistake for not checking it in the store with them because the tether option is not there. But this is my first iPhone so im all to blame..

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's a 3G model you can downgrade and jb.
    Not unlock though.