iPhone Is there any way to turn off smart links?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by j.quintana, Oct 9, 2015.

1. j.quintana macrumors member

I really wonder why those smart links start showing up everywhere in Whatsapp for 2 or 3 days now. I never had this issue and I use my iPhone 5s for a year now and updated to iOS 9 the day it was released.

I have just received a Whatsapp message from my girlfriend that included 7 smart links that allow me to create an event in less than one page of text.

I find this very annoying. For mail adresses and phone numbers this might be helpful, but I don't want the text to become harder to read because of half a dozen smart links on the screen.

And I really wonder why I haven't noticed this until a couple of days ago. Was there an update for Whatsapp?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

There was an update to WhatsApp a few days ago (you can go to it in the App Store and see when the latest version was released).

3. j.quintana thread starter macrumors member

I can not find any hint in the changelogs that one of the last Whatsapp updates introduced this frenzy of smart links.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nothing about it mentioned. But an update was there which means something in relation to it could have changed (even if it wasn't mentioned for some reason).

5. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

It's clearly related to the latest WhatsApp update. Before the update these smart links weren't recognized.

6. j.quintana thread starter macrumors member

I really wonder why they can't make stuff like this optional.