Is there any way to turn OFF turn by turn?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by zzyzx, Sep 22, 2012.

1. zzyzx macrumors member

It's a weird problem I know but my wife doesn't like turn by turn navigation and prefers the old set up where you see each turn on a map and can navigate from one to the next.

I see that you can list the whole route and you can see the whole route, but there doesn't seem a way to click next or back on the turn by turn once you start it, nor is there a way to see the map for a section of the route by clicking on it. IOS6 on the iPhone 4 kind of worked that way. Is there any way of getting that on an iPhone 5?

2. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

Wow, this wasn't working yesterday but it is working today. Good job Apple! The one thing that was pissing me off about maps is now working.

ETA: OK, no, it's still broken but it works if you put in directions to either place rather than saying, "Current location" for the first place.

3. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

So here's the summation. If you want to just see directions to somewhere that will let you step through them, seeing each turn on a map, just put a location in Start. It doesn't matter if you put in the same exact address where you are; any address in the field will stop it from going into turn by turn mode, and instead keeps you in a classic mode.

Don't know where you are? Hit the find me button in the lower left corner to see where you are and then touch somewhere on the screen near it to drop a pin. Hold down that pin and then you can get directions from there. Since it's not the current location, it'll give you directions you can scroll through instead of forcing you into turn by turn mode where you can't see the next step.

4. joesegh macrumors regular

Wow that's good to know.

5. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

I discovered it by accident when thinking about posting a screen shot for a different thread and - not wanting to use my current location - went from Fenway Park to Yankee Stadium. Suddenly it worked like I wanted it to.

6. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

off topic, but does the turn by turn on the new maps re route you if you make the wrong turn?

7. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is and yes it does.

8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Yep, and it is very quick about it too.