is there any way to uninstal an apple software update?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coconut2674, Mar 27, 2008.

1. coconut2674 macrumors newbie

is there any way to uninstal recent software updates? the latest one screwed up my machine a lil, and i know some other people have had similar prblems with it.i don't have time machine set up...which is probably stupid, for stuff like this,any other ways?..any tips would be greatly appreciated...

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I'm betting that the software update is not your problem and that uninstalling it will not fix it. Specifically, what is it on your system that is not working properly?

3. coconut2674 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well,my adium crashes upon start up,safari won't even open, the sync server seems to constantly crash and asks me to send an error report.it seems to have happened since i installed the update.if you have any suggestions i would really appreicate it

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I just had my first crash on my Mac pro. Had to send a report to apple. Up until then, I had zero problems with my machine.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Had my second and third crash today. All of sudden OS X crashes and needs to restart WTF.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You mean a "grey screen of death" aka a kernel panic?

It could well be coincidence. Its probably your RAM's going bad.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

No gray screen. It all of sudden goes darker, I can still see the background etc. But then in the middle of the screen I get a warning OS X has to shut down. It is in several different languages. How can I test the ram?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah thats what I'm talking about.

See [guide]testing RAM[/guide]

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ah... Ok now I know what it is I am looking at. Thank you for the link, running rember now....

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Product used: Rember.

Well I ran the test and this is what came back:

Test Results

All tests passed!

Total built-in memory: 8 GB

This is the total amount of physical memory that the computer has installed. If this figure is not showing the correct amount of memory there may be a problem with one or more installed DIMMS.

Available memory: 7003 MB

Available memory is the amount of physical memory that is currently not in use by any other processes. All available memory will be used for testing when the "All" option is selected. To increase the amount of available memory, you can restart your computer before testing. If you are familiar with the command line (CLI), you can run memtest (the core of Rember) in single-user mode. See Rember help, or http://www.memtestosx.org for more information.

Requested amount: All MB

The total amount of memory requested for testing by the Rember application. Not all requested memory can be allocated for testing. See information on "Available memory" for more information.

Memory allocated for testing: 6807 MB

This is the total amount of memory that memtest was able to allocate for testing. See "Available memory" section for more information.

-------

Loops selected: 1

Total loops selected by user for testing. All loops should complete when testing is successful. Test failure when the "Continue on Error" preference is selected will cancel tests before this number of loops has been completed. Users can also cancel testing before this number is reached.

Loops completed: 1

Total loops completed by memtest. Note that the Rember is not always able to identify how many loops ran. If there are discrepancies between this and the loops selected, the log should be examined to determine exactly how many loops were performed.
    -------

Total execution time: 5652 seconds

This is the total amount of time that it took to execute the selected tests. Execution time may vary from system to system, and is provided as a guide for determining how long users can expect tests to run based on the amount of memory installed on the system.

Testing start time: 2008-03-27 19:57:46 -0700

Testing end time: 2008-03-27 21:32:02 -0700

11. macbrush macrumors newbie

I don't know if this would help. I had a similar problem after update, mail, isync, dotmac all crash a few seconds after launch on my Mac Pro. But things are fine on my iBook G4 after the same update. So I figured must be something get corrupted during update.

After some digging, I replaced /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework with a known good one totally fixed my problem.

12. coconut2674 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,thanks - i'm not alone! heh,now when you say you replaced it with a known one?what do you mean?a new line of code? if so - how could i do that?

13. macbrush macrumors newbie

It is a directory in POSIX terms. You just need to find a copy of the whole directory from another Mac, copy it over and fix permissions. Hope this helps.

14. coconut2674 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh,thanks!lol,i know i may sound a bit of a ludite,in this the nerd capital,is this in the terminal,or actually in the file directory above? I'll give it a shot...thanks a million!
    If it works,you may be my hero...