Is there ANY way to use my iMac as a PC display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by weezin, Jul 25, 2012.

1. weezin macrumors member

Is there any way to use a 2011 27" iMac as a PC display?

I have two desktops...a recently purchased 27" iMac and a PC desktop. I use the iMac for day to day stuff and want to use the PC for gaming. However, I do not want to have two monitors on my desk, and would love to be able to use the 27" as my monitor for the PC.

Is there ANY way to do this?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Shame the PCI-Ex adapter basically works as an converter between GPU and Thunderbolt. I wish OEM start to make a real Thunderbolt GPU soon.

I'd like to connect my future gaming box to a nice Thunderbolt Display and enjoy all the benefits.

4. weezin thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, not the answer I was looking for :) I have to believe that there is an easier way to do it....

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well I think that was quite easy, plug in a Thunderbolt adapter, but certainly not an inexpensive solution

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I'm amazed that even exists.

You can't get adapters for Thunderbolt-in. They don't exist. You know how many of us want to hook up Xbox's/PS3's/TiVo's/other HDMI sources to TBolt iMacs but can't? That someone managed to put out an expansion card for it on PC is a minor miracle.

And no GPUs exist with direct Thunderbolt out.

This solution involves buying a $200 expansion card and a $50 cable. And taking a screwdriver to their PC, which PC users should generally be accustomed to. Compare that to the roughly $700 you'd spend on an equivalent quality monitor to the iMac's (from reputable sources, please nobody chime in about the stupid second-quality stuff from a Korean guy on eBay), which would then be fighting for desk space.

7. weezin thread starter macrumors member

According to the link, there are only 10 ASUS motherboards that support the card...so unless you have one of those, you're screwed.