Is there any way to use the ACD27" on a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ashok0, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Anyone using the new ACD on a PC? I was curious if any newer PC nVidia or ATi cards are compatible with it. Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort from the video card or a fancy pants DVI active adapter sound about right.

3. racketeer71 macrumors regular

There's a lot of the graphics cards in the enterprise market that includes (or solely have) Displayport. From both ATI and NVIDIA.

Not many "gaming graphics cards" yet, though.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

nVidia is slightly lacking with DisplayPort output but ATI offers nearly every HD 5000 with one and there are a few HD 4000 cards with them.

5. Ashok0 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I guess it depends on if you want to spend on a card with a built-in Mini DisplayPort or not. You can hit pretty low ($50-70) and just get a $10 adapter.

I somewhat wish going the HD 5770 route now instead of my GTX 460. I need to read a review of the single slot version to see how quiet it is.

7. valmar macrumors member

valmar

How that?
    Can you give an example setup for your claim?

I read that it's pretty quiet.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You could get a HD 5450 or a HD 5670 in that $50-70 price range with Display Port. You could even low ball with a GT210. Monoprice has some sub-$10 adapters as well.

You don't need to step higher than that to just use your operating system and maybe a few spinning cubes.

It looksl like there's a slight penalty compared to the dual slot version. I wonder what Southern Islands will bring to ATI in the midrange. I believe there's only one GTX 460 with Display Port. (It's not mine.) Oh well.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...radeon-hd-5770-1gb-single-slot-review-14.html

9. valmar macrumors member

valmar

Hm, I see what you mean but if you own a Mac and a PC, the first thing I'd ask is: "What do you need the PC for"?
    My answer would be: "Playing games".
    For all the other stuff like working, surfing etc I'd go for the Mac.
    So, for gaming purpose, I'd definitely go for a 5770 or at least 5750 with a DP->mDP adapter.
    The 5450 or 5670 might be okay to keep your computer running, but that's all.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AFAIK, only ATI 5970 or 4xxx with DisplayPort works, others from 5xxx series don't. I have no idea why but this is what I've heard from others in here. All NVidia cards should work though

EDIT: Forgot to add that this is for iMac, not sure is it different with ACD. Hopefully it is

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A budget machine might come into mind as well. Otherwise the HD 5770 is where I'd be aiming and it'd be up to the buyer to decide on the adapter or not.

The monitor is hopefully less of a hassle and more compliant than trying to get Target Display Mode to work on the iMac.