is there any workaround for a normal user to try new IOS5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobright macrumors 601

you know the one released to the devs

the beta which has IOS5 was released today right?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pay $99 for a developer account.

Find a developer willing to add you to their account (but don't ask on MacRumors as those posts are getting deleted)

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

As far as I know, the only way is to sign-up for a dev account: http://developer.apple.com/

Edit: Some folks beat me to it, but I have another question - Lets say I was to sign-up and download iOS 5 and install to my iPad. I'm assuming there are a bunch of features that aren't going to work, limited functionality, etc. So if I decided to go back to iOS 4.x would I just do a restore to that version of the OS? Any risks involved?

5. shandyman Suspended

Also, can we do it on windows, or is it limited to Mac only?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Normally there is absolutely no support for downgrading at all. Sometimes people find a way to make it work but it's not guaranteed.

7. 19101984 macrumors newbie

you'll need the latest iTunes beta software which is Mac only at this stage.

8. Built macrumors 68020

I'm predicting several upcoming threads from non-devs who just HAVE to have it right now... beginning with, "Help! I've bricked my iPad and I can't get back IOS4!"
    This is a Beta version and should only be approached by those who KNOW what they are doing.

9. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

sure to cause many problems, I would like to try but gonna wait for a while, too soon right now, youd have to be crazy to risk it at this point!

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I just want to see what the music app looks like damnit LOL

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

I just paid $5 on Ebay for the UDID. There are all over the place.

Of course it's more fun to beg :)

12. shandyman Suspended

Actually I've found out that the latest iTunes 10.5 beta is not mac only, it's available for windows, both 32bit and 64bit.

13. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Are you talking about the 10.3 public iTunes release?

14. shandyman Suspended

Nope that's why I specifically said 10.5 beta. Its on the apple dev centre and leaked on various sites.

15. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Food for thought:

The SDK requires Xcode which only runs on a Mac. Ignoring Adobe's ability to port to the iOS, your development device will be used with a Mac. Compiling a developer's version of iTunes for windows when there's no SDK support might be considered superfluous. However, I wouldn't want to disclose anything.

16. shandyman Suspended

I don't quite get what you're trying to say as I'm half awake, but I'm not compiling anything, it's a fully completed installer on the dev centre and elsewhere online, no SDK needed

17. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Well, it took a while to find someone who actually posted this part of the Developer's Center download page. I'm sure there's some of us who wouldn't care to do such a thing...

[​IMG]

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-...-5-on-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-developers-only/

18. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

you can downgrade to 4.3.3 put the ipad in dfu then restore 4.3.3.

19. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Can you do the shift+restore option to install the IOS 5 on a device without dev activation?

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. Your UDID must still be registered in the developer portal.

21. Fozz929 macrumors newbie

Come on...

It's so annoying to read all of these "pay 99 dollars", "it's not possible unless you're a dev", "it's beta software, unless you're a software engineer, stay away". Every beta, since the iPad came out, has been able to be "option+ update"-ed onto a device. I've done it with EVERY beta, developer preview, whatever you want to call it, since iOS4 was first being tested. I tried putting iOS5 on my 1G iPad last night but couldn't get past the 3002 error. I even tried to restore my iPad with iOS5 but still couldn't get registered. I DFU'd back to iOS4 with no problems. So perhaps this beta truly can't be put onto a device that isn't registered (I'll keep looking for a solution), but for people to say that it's never a good idea to try is idiotic. It's like they're hoping Steve Jobs personally reads their post and awards them an Apple branded medal of valor. I'm not a developer, but I am a power user who wants to try the newest software (it makes no sense to join the developer program, don't try to justify it) and I don't think I'm alone.

22. rworne macrumors 6502

You know, just pay the toll and get on with it. Unless you are on Windows the dev license gives you all sorts of neat goodies. In my case I wrote an app and it paid for itself many times over. There are also some apps that are open-sourced that Apple would never approve or banned that you can make for yourself.

Nothing beats writing up some code and watching it run on your device. It's worth the price of admission if you have a Mac.

23. nora47 macrumors regular

24. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Just because everyone here knows how to / wants to code... :rolleyes:

25. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Great I am getting PMs asking for money to be added as a dev account :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.