Is there any Woz in an iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Just wondering out loud. Clearly there are some of Steve Jobs' design dictates still found in the iPhone 6.

But what about Woz? Is there any piece of his philosophy, programming, motherboard building principles, etc., however infinitesimal, to be found in an iPhone 6?

He left ages ago, so it wouldn't surpise me if the answer was no. But if even one engineer learned a trick taught to him by one of Woz's disciples, or one of his disciple's disciples, that somehow made it into the hardware or software, I wouldn't be surprised either.

It fascinates me that computers, for all their advancements, are still basically the same as they were 30 years ago...keyboard, mouse, screen. I wonder how much of what's under the hood of a computer in the shape of an iPhone is basically the same as it was 30 years ago.

2. jon3543 macrumors 6502

"Woz" hasn't been relevant in 30 years. Move the hero worship to a more deserving subject.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Hero worship? It was just a question. Move the knee jerk snark to a more deserving subject.

Oh, and Woz is infinitely more relevant to this forum than joe90210 or whatever your name is. Sorry, didn't catch which trillion dollar company you co-founded.

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Ooooooooh! Get her!

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Genuine question, what was his design or corporate philosophy?

[​IMG]

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Great question. I have no idea. For all I know he was just some schlubby geek in the right place at the right time. I was hoping some old dude might chime in.

7. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Absolutely not. He doesn't even work at Apple nor did he do a lot of technical work outside of the initial few years.

8. ttmrn macrumors regular

sry, i had to say this, but..

u basically have no idea what u were thinking when u said that. did u just throw out the number 30?

9. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

There's probably something somewhere that can be traced to him, but it's very distant and diluted. Woz for his part apparently dumped his Android phones in preference for the iPhone 6 (he had been using both platforms for a while).

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

11. jon3543, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

jon3543 macrumors 6502

I haven't made any claims of any particular relevance. That doesn't make me unworthy of discussing what I understand to be the facts. "Woz" hasn't done anything significant in computing since the Apple II. BTW, Apple is not today nor has it ever been "a trillion dollar company," and "Woz" had no part in growing it after the early 1980s, during which time, his relevance at Apple devolved into just being the personality known as "Woz". He wasn't even a player in the Macintosh development. Wozniak did some impressive work when he was active, but he's like the Jimmy Page of tech. He burned brightly for a few years, and then it was over. All he's done since is make usually inane comments about the state of tech and get hired for a sinecure at Fusion IO to be the personality known as "Woz". Good work if you can get it. :D Oh, and I almost forgot. He was (painfully) on "Dancing With the Stars."

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are interested in finding out what Woz's philosophy is, perhaps you should read his autobiography -- I think it is called "Woz."

13. deviant macrumors 65816

No, but really, what has Woz done in the last, say, 10 years? Apart from tweeting from restaurants, rocking all possible gadgets and giving his opinion on tech stuff? I understand he's a god for geeks but why?

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

And you would think wrong. That is easy enough to find out that one would think you would do so prior to posting.

I would recommend reading his autobiography titled iWoz.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oops, sorry, was having a lazy moment. Thanks for posting the correct title!

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

No worries, after reading my comment I realized that it was snarkier than it needed to be, not that it needed to be in the first place. My apologies.

17. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Woz undoubtedly inspired some young people to become engineers, and a few of those engineers probably made it to Apple.

I think the connection would be a distant one though. I don't know if Woz was at Apple long enough to develop and imprint engineering techniques at Apple. Even if he had done this, I'm not sure his influence would have survived the turmoil of the late 80's and early 90's.

Apple as we know it today really didn't "happen" until the return of Steve Jobs and the NeXT merger.