Is there any Woz in an iPhone 6?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Just wondering out loud. Clearly there are some of Steve Jobs' design dictates still found in the iPhone 6.

But what about Woz? Is there any piece of his philosophy, programming, motherboard building principles, etc., however infinitesimal, to be found in an iPhone 6?

He left ages ago, so it wouldn't surpise me if the answer was no. But if even one engineer learned a trick taught to him by one of Woz's disciples, or one of his disciple's disciples, that somehow made it into the hardware or software, I wouldn't be surprised either.

It fascinates me that computers, for all their advancements, are still basically the same as they were 30 years ago...keyboard, mouse, screen. I wonder how much of what's under the hood of a computer in the shape of an iPhone is basically the same as it was 30 years ago.

jon3543

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
"Woz" hasn't been relevant in 30 years. Move the hero worship to a more deserving subject.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Hero worship? It was just a question. Move the knee jerk snark to a more deserving subject.

Oh, and Woz is infinitely more relevant to this forum than joe90210 or whatever your name is. Sorry, didn't catch which trillion dollar company you co-founded.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Hero worship? It was just a question. Move the knee jerk snark to a more deserving subject.

Oh, and Woz is infinitely more relevant to this forum than joe90210 or whatever your name is. Sorry, didn't catch which trillion dollar company you co-founded.
Ooooooooh! Get her!

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
But what about Woz? Is there any piece of his philosophy, programming, motherboard building principles, etc., however infinitesimal, to be found in an iPhone 6?
Genuine question, what was his design or corporate philosophy?

Ooooooooh! Get her!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Genuine question, what was his design or corporate philosophy?

Great question. I have no idea. For all I know he was just some schlubby geek in the right place at the right time. I was hoping some old dude might chime in.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Absolutely not. He doesn't even work at Apple nor did he do a lot of technical work outside of the initial few years.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
It fascinates me that computers, for all their advancements, are still basically the same as they were 30 years ago...keyboard, mouse, screen. I wonder how much of what's under the hood of a computer in the shape of an iPhone is basically the same as it was 30 years ago.

sry, i had to say this, but..

u basically have no idea what u were thinking when u said that. did u just throw out the number 30?

jon3543

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010

I haven't made any claims of any particular relevance. That doesn't make me unworthy of discussing what I understand to be the facts. "Woz" hasn't done anything significant in computing since the Apple II. BTW, Apple is not today nor has it ever been "a trillion dollar company," and "Woz" had no part in growing it after the early 1980s, during which time, his relevance at Apple devolved into just being the personality known as "Woz". He wasn't even a player in the Macintosh development. Wozniak did some impressive work when he was active, but he's like the Jimmy Page of tech. He burned brightly for a few years, and then it was over. All he's done since is make usually inane comments about the state of tech and get hired for a sinecure at Fusion IO to be the personality known as "Woz". Good work if you can get it. :D Oh, and I almost forgot. He was (painfully) on "Dancing With the Stars."

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Great question. I have no idea. For all I know he was just some schlubby geek in the right place at the right time. I was hoping some old dude might chime in.
If you are interested in finding out what Woz's philosophy is, perhaps you should read his autobiography -- I think it is called "Woz."

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
No, but really, what has Woz done in the last, say, 10 years? Apart from tweeting from restaurants, rocking all possible gadgets and giving his opinion on tech stuff? I understand he's a god for geeks but why?

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Woz undoubtedly inspired some young people to become engineers, and a few of those engineers probably made it to Apple.

I think the connection would be a distant one though. I don't know if Woz was at Apple long enough to develop and imprint engineering techniques at Apple. Even if he had done this, I'm not sure his influence would have survived the turmoil of the late 80's and early 90's.

Apple as we know it today really didn't "happen" until the return of Steve Jobs and the NeXT merger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.