Is there anyone having problems getting Apple to replace Graphic Card ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by COCKROACH999, Feb 21, 2009.

1. COCKROACH999 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro
    Nvidia Graphic Card failed (Apple Genius confirmed this though the test at Genius Bar)
    even though Apple clearly states on its website
    that it will replace this part FREE OF CHARGE
    warranty or NO warranty
    and my Macbook Pro falls under their exact specifications (and is still under warranty) they are refusing to replace this part
    I am putting this out here to see if I can find information
    about this happening to anyone else
    and also find out if anyone might have suggestions on what I can do to FORCE them to do the right thing

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Call corporate.

Seriously, demand it if the Genius said that it had failed.

What was their rationale for not replacing it?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

What reason did the Genius give you?

The only time I've ever seen them not do a warranty repair is if there was physical damage to the machine that could have caused the damage.

4. COCKROACH999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple store "Genuis" ... did the test in front of us - that determines NGC failure - informed us and noted in log - that it was Nvidia Graphic Card that had failed (at the time we had no idea about this NGC "recall")
    He told us to backup all data (that particular store does not provide this service) and bring it back for full warranty repair
    At this time I also asked the "Genius" if when we send it in if we also could get a cosmetic repair done -(minor cosmetic damage to one corner of the MBPro by the DVD player - (which is fully functional to date)
    He said nothing cosmetic is covered but the Nvidia Card repair was
    When we sent it in we were called by Apple and informed that because of cosmetic ding all warranty - (3 days over 1 yr old and full apple care) were now VOID
    I was told because warranty is VOID they will NOT repair even though on their site at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377
    it clearly states with or without warranty they will replace/repair at no charge
    the NGC (I found this doc after Apple treated me in this fashion)
    Incidentally they told me I needed a new logic board (the exact part that NEEDS replacement as Nvidia Graphic is soldered to LB) and a new harddrive - all this without opening up the computer
    I asked them to put this in writing they REFUSED
    Apple "Genuis" also backed up all info from Harddrive at an Apple Store that provided this service b4 it was sent in 4 NGC repair & NOTED harddrive in perfect working condition b4 sent in and after in log
    I had asked to speak to some one higher than the person I was speaking to and he told me his SUPERIORS would NOT SPEAK to me under any condition nor could he make a request on my behalf for them to contact me
    He told me I had to pay over 50% of the computers original price $1250.00 plus tax & shipping for repair
    I declined repair

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go back to the same store that the genius was at an speak to the management there...

6. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

This is so stupid.

If the dent did not affect the logic board at all, then they should replace it no matter what.

If you crash your car while on reverse and then your engine dies, they still fix it under warranty.

What a company Apple is becoming :confused:

7. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Especially if the NGC was dubbed failed BEFORE you mentioned the ding, it should be Apple's responsibility to replace your logic board. That's something that should be an initial check before they conclude a graphics or logic board failure.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Call Customer Care and ask to speak with a Customer Relations agent.

9. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

dont forget the two words that a company always hates to hear, UNFAIR and UNLAWFUL, im from the UK and i know of a company that will deal with issues that even thou are well within my rights are not met, this company is called OFCOM and all complaints about companies (if serious) are run through them which then they take appropriate action.

10. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Oh but wait, there is a lot of posts on here about apple's quality and being a company for the consumer. Where are they for the consumer now.. I hate to say it if it was a dell or a HP even with the damage they would repair it without even thinking twice...

James

11. P90Xfit macrumors regular

Your right. :)

12. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Clearly this was not Apple's decision, but rather that Genius'.
    The OP needs to contact Apple directly and I assure that they will take care of this matter promptly. :)

13. Hack On Wheels macrumors newbie

What? I'd suggest reading the post I quote here, he was on the phone with someone from Apple. Not only did they not take care of it promptly, but they refused him service in blatant disregard of their own warranty.

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

except my friend with a HP was without it for a month when she sent it in for a motherboard replacement.

and we still get a TON of those crappy DV series laptops w/ failing motherboards. i've seen 2 mbps come in with the nvidia issue, but i've seen far many more HP (dv6000s mainly) come in with no video on start up.

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Actually;

As you can see you are incorrect, neither does he state that HE called Apple nor that Apple directly responded to him. What seemed to have happened is that the Genius told him what was told him, which could have been a lie.

And;

Again, you can notice that it seemed like he was speaking with the Genius in the store and not on the phone.

Like I previously suggested; OP, call Apple directly and plea your case to them and not the Genius.