Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
See sig.
No PCs there...

I did have a PC laptop once, I used it as a door stop...until it couldn't even manage to do that properly!!!

SilverLight

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
just bought an iMac. i have a windows pc but its a gateway 2000 with 32mb ram, 2gb of space so that box full of componets doesnt count as a computer!

way2rude

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
Mac vs. PC

I've only ever had a mac. I have NEVER thought to myself, "I wish I had a pc so that I can do this, or that. Granted, there are more applications for pc than for macs, but, the essential programs are there.
Rudeman!
:cool:

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Only had Apples in my house, starting with an Apple IIc, II GS, Mac IIx, powerbook 180c, Performa 5215, iMac G3 400, powerbook G4 1.25. Never a Wintel box in my house. Unfortunately for my unenlightened employers, I've had the dubious joy of "using" pc's at work.

OnaMacSince1989

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
I've never had a PC and probably never will (as long as Apple keeps making computers). The only non-Mac I've ever owned was a Commodore-64 in the early to mid 1980's!

I primarily use my Mac for the Internet (Safari, Mail, & Quicktime) and other home computing functions (iTunes, iPhoto, and MS Office). I don't see any need to own both platforms, other than for the variety of games available for PC. However, for games, I use my GameCube and Xbox. It's much more comfortable to play games on the TV while sitting on the couch instead of at the desk.

I have been stuck using PC's at work, and we finally updated to XP this year. Was on NT for almost 5 years, and was on 3.1 for far too long prior to that. The worst part of our set up, is that we are required to use the MSIE browser and cannot install any other browser. Pop-ups are endless.

My current (New) iMac:
20" iMac Rev.B 2-GHz G5, 1-GB RAM, 250-GB HD (2005)

My previous Macs:
eMac 1-GHz G4, 128-MB RAM, 60-GB HD (2003)
iMac DV 400-MHz G3, 64-MB RAM, 10-GB HD (2000)
iMac Rev.B 233-MHz G3, 32-MB RAM, 4-GB HD (1999)
Some long forgotten Motorola Mac Clone PPC (specs uknown)
Performa 6220 75-MHz PPC 603, 16-MB RAM, 500-MB HD (1995)
LC III 25-MHz 68030, 4-MB RAM, 80-MB HD (1993)
Mac Plus 8-MHz 68000, 1-MB RAM, No HD (1989)

Note: I update fairly often, but none of these were dead or obsolete when I moved on. Some were handed down to family and some were sold on eBay. I've been pleasantly surprised at the good resale values for the Macs I've sold! :)

bit.shiftr

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Salisbury, North Carolina
I've got a PC, one that I built myself, but it hasn't been booted for about a month now. I'm a switcher and after getting a Powerbook about a year ago I just purchased a Powermac to replace my primary PC. I may keep the PC for games. I use PC's at work so I don't know if in the future I can be totally Mac or not. If it's my choice I will be! :rolleyes:

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
After I switched I thought that I still needed a PC for some 'specific' applications, it soon came out that there were better equivalent programs on OSX, so I was able to give my PC away. Who needs a PC anyway?

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Another vote for no window's PC in the house.

I do have an older x86 linux box running as a file server...

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I built a PC from parts in 2000 just to see if I could do it. It worked but I don’t think I ever did anything useful with it.

Its parts again.

applejack

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2004
Never had a PC, though I've considered it - particularly in the mid-90's grey box era before Stevie came back. I went SE, 7200, ibookG3, imacG5.

ScruffyTheMac

macrumors regular
May 21, 2005
Massachusetts
I have an Alienware PC with Windows XP Pro sitting in a closet; hasn't been booted in almost a year. Totally Mac/OSX at home.

Everything I want to do on a computer at home just works on Macs (music library, DVR, DVD, home video). I've been using a G4 Powerbook for the past 2.5 years; just got a dual 2.7 G5 last week and I'm in Mac heaven now.

The Alienware (and it's Compaq predecessor) were like bad science projects; never again Wintel at home. At work, my Dell Windows 2000 laptop (OS mangled by the IT dept.) is a disaster of epic proportions.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
No PCs at my place. I also use a Mac at work, although occasionally I'm forced to do something on Windoze for work-related reasons. At home, I have no need for a PC. I play my games on a PS2.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
no PCs at home, was forced into using XP at work about 6 months ago, up until then had only used atari & Mac. Talk at work is that the PC is going to be replaced with a G5 as the dell doesnt do video editing very well! I cant think of a reason why I would want a windows PC at home.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I have, at no point in my life (and I've owned a computer since 1983), had anything except an Apple product in my home.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
What if my Mom has one? But I won't even go near it let alone touch it. I'm done with M$, I almost refuse to use windows, the only case is at school and I catch myself doing Mac commands on the PC's and end up launching the anti-virus or something. I live in a house with I PC but I won't use it.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
In 1993, I switched from an Atari TT to an Apple PM 7100/80. Never owned a PC, although I admit, I've used VPC for some time when my bank used some strange proprietary software for online banking. As a freelance sound engineer, I sometimes work at recording studios that are PC only, and it's a PITA. I wonder how they can afford the downtime. (I know, I know, your XP box hasn't crashed in years... do you do realtime HQ 32 track audio?)

I have five Macs in the house, three of them WLANed, two etherneted to an ADSL router.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i have always had macs, but recently my mom's bf gave up his brand new dell laptop to me for god knows what reason. i never use it but i don't want to sell it. i use it sometimes for msn webcam but other than that, i've been PC free for 15 years!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
thats is my goal but my families store runs on windows computer i guess it will be as soon a i move out( or have the store run on apple computers) and my old pc( still P4) my goal soon is to replace it

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
The family home= only PC's (One Dell, which replaced the 1999 Tiny) and will probably never change to Mac. I've got to admit, I like this Dell (Dimension 4700). It makes dial-up feel like broadband, and hasn't caught a bug in 6 months...

HOWEVER, it does need 3 sets of anti-virus, and 2 firewalls. Plus spam and pop-up filters, and to be honest constricts what you want to do. But it runs word-processing apps, so it'll do for the family home...

HOWEVER (AGAIN...:)), my home is at Uni in Lincoln, and that's where my PC and my Mac live :) We started using eMacs at Uni for animating and video editing, and thought I'd get one, even though I had a £519, 6 month-old eMachines desktop sitting in the flat (which wouldn't let me access the net because of viruses)... I saw an ad for a second-hand eMac for £250, beat him down to £200, and am totally converted! The PC hasn't been used since, except for watching a DVD since the eMac doesn't have a superdrive.

Now to convince parents to replace the Dell with an iMac... :D

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
I have 3 Macs and 1 PC that hasn't been used in about 2 years. It's an Acer 400 mhz Celeron. I would use it for something but it's painfully slow even w/ Windows 2000....

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I hate to break it to everyone but we all have a PC (Personal Computer), they are just not running Windows. ;)

Personally, I use a Wintel machine for work and enjoy my Apple household afterward.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I have a Tandy RXL 1000 in storage. Does that count as a PC? Otherwise we use only Apple Computers.

jedidropout

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
I have a powerbook g4, about to get an iMac g5. I have an old x86 machine I run Linux on, that's the closest thing to a pc I'll use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.