Is there anyone here who has NEVER owned an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sirious, Jan 22, 2016.

?

Ever owned an iPad?

1. Yes, but for a brief time

2. Only one generation, and I still have/use it

3. Never

4. Use friends/family members

5. I own a different branded tablet, as well as iPad

6. I own a different branded tablet & no iPad

7. I owned iPad, but switched to different one

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I was wondering if there is anyone here, who has never bought any generation of the iPad?
    I am interested to see what people's reasoning behind it is.. cost? no use?

2. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I have never bought an iPad for I have been an Amazon Fire type of person. I just read books and watch an occasional TV show or Movie on it.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I got a Mini 4 this past September shortly after it launched. Prior to that, even though I visited this forum frequently, I had never owned an iPad, but I'd used various models enough, to be quite familiar with them, as well as being generally familiar with iOS from having owned multiple iPhones. From 2013 to 2015 my primary tablet was a Nexus 7, having decided that with an iOS phone owning an iOS tablet as well would be redundant. I've since changed my mind although Android tablets do offer some advantages.

4. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

I'm not sure why someone who has never owned an iPad would be on an iPad forum.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

As I said, up until a few months ago I'd never owned one, and I was here. Not owning an iPad doesn't mean that you never use them or have knowledge about them or have interest in them.

6. beernut macrumors 6502

product research

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I've used them many times before but I just don't have a use for one.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Never owned an iPad, but I do like using them. But, I can't justify the purchase for the only use that I would need - remote controlling a sound board.
    Other than that use, I have no interest in having an iPad of my own.

9. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I've used the iPad 3 and iPad mini 3 before, but I've never owned one.

Frankly, I wouldn't like to have one because they never include the newest tech in them like in the iPhone. They're always a generation behind.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Does that really matter though? Tablets should be compared to other tablets, not phones. I've never understood arguments like "I don't want an iPad Air 2 because the iPhone 6s has better specs". Sometimes it's not as easy, or cost effective, to upscale as people think. Like apparently doing 3D Touch on larger displays is harder.

11. meistervu macrumors 65816

Agree. I buy things for their functions, not their specs. There is always something technically more advanced in the horizon, but your current needs probably don't change much, or at least you can anticipate them. If product X meets those needs, it seems silly to reject it because something else (iPhone) is more advanced (faster processor) and yet doesn't meet your needs (smaller screen).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2016 ---
    Agree. I buy things for their functions, not their specs. There is always something technically more advanced in the horizon, but your current needs probably don't change much, or at least you can anticipate them. If product X meets those needs, it seems silly to reject it because something else (iPhone) is more advanced (faster processor) and yet doesn't meet your needs (smaller screen).

12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

To some people, it does matter. For example, I understand why 3D-Touch did not come to the iPad Pro (for cost reasons), but why did they not include Touch-ID in the iPad Air, or better yet, why did they not include Touch-ID 2 in the iPad Pro?

Little things like that do bother some people, and I would bet that it wouldn't cost Apple much more to include Touch-ID 2 in the iPad Pro, but obviously they reserve features on purpose so that they can make the next generation product seem like more of an improvement.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I get that, I'm among the first to call Apple (or any other company) out on holding back features, but it still doesn't make sense to me to not buy an iPad just because it doesn't have the features of the latest iPhone. It comes down to if you want a phone or a tablet. It doesn't matter what features the latest phone has if you need/want a tablet.

It's also worth remembering that iPads (except for the Pro) are a lot less expensive than iPhones when the cost isn't hidden throughout a subsidized contract.

14. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

15. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

iPad Pro is way more powerful than the iPhone 6s Plus

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yes, but it's not up-to-date in everything. Perfect example: Touch-ID 2.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I still don't see your point. The features of a phone are irrelevant to someone who wants a tablet. It only makes sense to someone who just wants the most advanced device, the actually usage of which being a secondary concern.

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Ok, then what about the 5MP FaceTime HD camera from the iPhone 6s? Wouldn't that camera make perfect sense for the iPad Pro's high-resolution display (instead of the current 1.2MP camera)?

I understand your point (if you want or need a tablet, the average consumer wouldn't care about the fancy new features from the newest iPhones), but I won't defend Apple this time for the many things that the iPad Pro could have had that they purposely held back.

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I'm not saying that those features wouldn't be beneficial on a tablet. I'm saying that if you actually want a tablet, you buy one based on what's available. You don't hold off forever because there's always a phone with better specs. The next generation iPad will probably have those specs, but then there'll be a phone with even better specs.

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well until less than a week ago I never had bought any but had been given two (and ipad 2 and an ipad mini). Never really saw a use for them enough to bother paying for them (They were neat but luxuries that weren't worth spending what little money I had on). My mom gave me her ipad 2 and while it was nice for using as a tv in the kitchen and I thought I'd read books on it, I found it just too big for reading books or internet in bed. And even for using in front of the tv I preferred using my phone. Partly cause the phone was newer/faster with a new OS to be fair.

My BF gave me his old ipad mini when he updated a few months ago and I finally found it useful for reading in bed or in front of the tv (I suspected I'd find a tablet more useful if it was more a 7" size). I even found typing on it was more pleasant. I liked it so much I ended up buying the new one less than a week ago. I'm loving it.

Still not replacing my laptop though. But it is definitely better for reading in bed as well as for in the living room (I set up my laptop like a desktop so it's a bit of a pain to move it just to use it in the living room for a few hours).

21. Sirious thread starter macrumors 65816

Sirious

I agree with a lot of what you said

22. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

i just got my first Ipad a couple months ago. never needed one, i always had more powerful tablet PC's. I did get the IPP because of the pencil. i only use it for sketching or surfing the web- and not that often lately. Its fun to sketch on or do plein air paintings on. not useful for much else to me.

23. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

25. psuser, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

psuser macrumors newbie

i dont own any ipad because use iphone before and hate ios.

why no ipad still in ipad forum because keep waiting any news on new ios and new ipad which suit my need