Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
As the title, I've found a Pismo battery on eBay for $20, but the seller in the US won't post internationally (I have asked) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Apple-Powerbook-G3-Battery-Model-M7318-P-N-825-4517-A/323843982979?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
It has 70% health which is probably the best I can do since there aren't any more to be found in the world at the moment.

Please would anyone help me and purchase the battery, then send it to me in the UK by the cheapest method?

Obviously I will send PayPal money up front, so PM me with a PayPal address if you can help.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
D
As the title, I've found a Pismo battery on eBay for $20, but the seller in the US won't post internationally (I have asked) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Apple-Powerbook-G3-Battery-Model-M7318-P-N-825-4517-A/323843982979?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
It has 70% health which is probably the best I can do since there aren't any more to be found in the world at the moment.

Please would anyone help me and purchase the battery, then send it to me in the UK by the cheapest method?

Obviously I will send PayPal money up front, so PM me with a PayPal address if you can help.

Hugh

Done. PM me your mailing address & I’ll get a quote together.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Hi @RhianB, looks like I'm too late as the last battery has just sold. Sorry to have bothered you, and thanks very much for the kind offer.

Hugh

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
FWIW, I have attempted to send batteries internationally before and had them returned/refused at customs.

Somewhere or another, I have a printed out page of regulations which puts restrictions on individuals sending loose batteries. You can mail a complete laptop with a battery in it, for example, but not a battery by itself.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
FWIW, I have attempted to send batteries internationally before and had them returned/refused at customs.

Somewhere or another, I have a printed out page of regulations which puts restrictions on individuals sending loose batteries. You can mail a complete laptop with a battery in it, for example, but not a battery by itself.
Same here, unless clearly stickered as a battery. I notice they don't have problems posting batteries from China - maybe they tell lies on the customs form CN22?

Hugh

Last edited:

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
Sorry, I most likely can't help deliver the battery to you. But, this does bring up some ideas, and questions...

I may be going to Europe next month, and if I had been traversing through (the US and) the UK, perhaps it would be possible (to pick up the battery while in the US and) to pop the battery in the UK Mail while on the way. I am sorry but we're not going through the UK. (And also we'd need a long enough stop over in the US to do a pick up along the way.)

The other trick is if you are traveling to the US: Send the item to your address where you are staying in the US. Even hotels accommodate for this and you can pick up your delivered package from the front desk when you arrive, but do call in advance to let them know that you are doing this and ask if it is okay. I forget if some hotels charge a storage fee.

My other thought on battery packs is to Rebuild a laptop battery pack (video) (youtube.com). Anyone brave enough to have done this?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Unfortunately that particular battery is no longer available, but I have been lucky enough to pick up a cheap Lombard locally, and which had a nearly new 6600 mAh battery included, so now my Pismo is fully mobile.

I do however have two other batteries (one dead and one that holds minimal charge), so I will look into re-celling at some point.

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions :)

Hugh

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I think it's trouble with air shipment of batteries not installed in a device.

Yeah. It's a knock on from a UPS flight that crashed in Dubai in 2010 after lithium batteries in the cargo area likely started a fire.

I've sent a laptop to @LightBulbFun within the UK last year. Got the third degree from the Post Office to make sure it didn't contain a battery.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

Last time that I checked, standalone batteries are forbidden as passenger jet cargo, but could still be transported by freighters.

Even then, it can be difficult to find a carrier that will accept them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.