is there anyone who ever went mac.... and then went back!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shamguy4, Aug 18, 2009.

1. shamguy4 macrumors member

im not sure where to post this... but this spot looks good...

I bought my mac this year. I always was a windows man till now. Whenever I met someone with a mac it was usually a computer illiterate person who bought it for the looks so I couldn't tell if it was really good or not.

long story short.

finally I spoke to someone who used mac and was a smart programmer, said it was amazing. I finally went with my gut and have never been happier.

so my question is... is there anyone out there who ever went back to windows? I havent found any yet...

of course I will try windows 7 out of curiosity but im sure snow leopard will be just fine...

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A lot of people use both Windows and OS X. That's the nice thing about having a Mac, you can have both of them.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the lure of builing my own machines will always be there

4. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I regularly use both, actually.

I have a Mac desktop, Mac laptop and PC netbook.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have to use Windows at work, but I won't switch back to it at home any time soon.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

7. MTI macrumors 65816

This past weekend I purchased a used 20" 2.0 C2D aluminum iMac from a person that wanted to switch from PC's. He bought the mid-2007 iMac new, gave it a try, even bought MS Office in the hopes of making it "familiar." He said he tried it for awhile and decided it wasn't in his comfort zone. So, he put it on Craigslist for . . . $400.

As Windows based PCs are relatively inexpensive, there's no reason not to be "bi-lingual" OS wise.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I use both, see my sig - and my OS X machines have VMFusion on them as well:D

9. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

Well...I'm a hybrid-I use both OSX and windows. OSX mainly for FCE and iphoto, and windows for Sony Vegas Pro 9, mercalli, and Compisitelab.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I use OS X and Windows regularly, each on its own machine, i.e. the Macs only have OS X. Occasionally I'll use OS 9 in Classic on my PowerMac and sometimes I'll try a Linux distro on my Studio 540.

To sum it up, I'm 33% OS X, 33% Windows, 20% OS 9, 14% other. Although, I could use any OS with support for any version of iTunes and iPod nano 3G.

I started on Windows, as my dad has used it at work for ages and, I suppose DOS before that.

I got my first Mac, an original (read rev. a) Bondi iMac, with original keyboard (which I sorta broke) and mouse and power cord (a fact I'm quite proud of) that seems to have belonged to Emroy University in the winter/spring of 2007, I think. It It came with Office '98 and a few other, useless apps. In a few weeks, I procured a copy of HyperCard. After that, I made many stacks.

In March of 2008, I got a 2 GHz mid-'07 Mac mini. That came with Leopard. It is my main Mac today. At first, I used the iMac's keyboard and a spare mouse I had, but luckily my neighbor had a white Apple keyboard (best Apple keyboard yet, IMO) and a Mighty Mouse that he didn't need.

A few months ago, I managed to get a 733 MHz PowerMac G4 "Digital Audio" which I currently use as a server, light PS work area, and HyperCard stack maker. That has replaced the iMac and uses its keyboard and mouse.

11. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Wow - a statistician

AND a developer! That's a nice search engine in your sig line.

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'm not really a developer. That search engine requires no knowledge of any language other than English; Google does it all for you.

The only language I have mastered is HyperTalk. I'm also pretty good at AppleScript.

I am trying to learn Java, but that's going pretty slowly. Also, I'd like to get into Objective-C or Cocoa. I think it's slow-going because I had a real person helping me with HyperCard, instead of reading a book.

13. BoogieTrain macrumors member

Ive had a macbook for almost a year now and im happy with it. Still, i'd do lots of research before buying another mac over a pc. For me at least, macs have the edge with laptops, offering quality parts for your money, and i feel that osx works well with a laptop. Though i still am reliant on vmware for some things.

Currently i had to set up a desktop so that I could organize my massive music collection using MediaMonkey, iTunes just refuses to work well for me, and lacks many intuitive features needed for that task.

It was a learning curve that im not completley over, and perhaps thats why im not headstrong on sticking with mac, though im sure if I used osx for a few more years, and new versions of windows came out that were different from xp and the bunch, there would probably be difficulty using windows again, and i'd choose to stick to my mac.

Yes Macs are more stable, but for me, they lack the flexibility that windows offers, and i'd prob go back to windows if i needed a new computer right now.

Also, since macs are less popular, having a 1TB formatted to HFS+ is not as convenient. (Formatting it to HFS, with it already full was already a headache enough).

14. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I was a Microsoft guy from the DOS 3.3 days all the way up through Vista (with Linux in there since Slackware in '92), and Vista's what made me ultimately switch to the Mac, and I love it.

Having a rock solid OS with UNIX at its core is just outstanding (exactly why I enjoy using Linux too), and it's much less work to have to deal with than Windows.

I'm a computer geek at heart though, and I will be getting Windows 7 (working retail does have its perks...if anyone else works retail, PM me before Sept. 1st...) just to keep up with the latest stuff - and I did run the Win7 RC beta, and it was significantly faster than Vista *ever* was.

It can't convince me to give up OS X though, which I'm in a good 99% of the time (I only use Windows when I really need to.)

I was really into building and customizing my own machines for a long time too, but now that I have my Mac, I'm almost happy not to have to build my own, and have a real warranty and company stand behind the computer (not that I need it - this computer does NOT go down for anything, and I keep it on 24/7...)

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Since I still have to use XP at work, it's almost like I've never left windows.
    But when it comes to what I'll tolerate at home, it's Mac all the way. :)

16. dryjoy macrumors regular

Yeah

I use XP at work, also have an XP laptop at home and a Windows 7 bootcamp on my Mac Pro.
    I use OS X most of the time at home, however. I much prefer using OS X - but I don't hate Windows.
    I don't think it's anywhere near as awful as people make out, in fact I think MS have done a pretty good job over the years really, bearing in mind the challenges they face that it has to work on so many different systems.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that in most respects, OS X is a better OS but I'm fine with Windows. Being equally at home in either is nice and very useful.

17. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm sure you let him know that you can install Windows on that iMac and give all but 5GB of the drive over to Windows and never use OSX on the machine again. And that its value is much higher than the $400 he was asking. Only then did you go ahead and buy it, right? :D

18. Arn1499 macrumors member

Luckiest craigslist find EVER

19. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

my next computer will be a pc with windows 7 for sure. The only things I use my computer for are Office, internet, email & gaming. We all know how awful Macs are for gaming - if you say they're not, you've got some denial issues. My iMac will be able to browse the internet, send emails, and open Word & Excel documents for many years until Apple forces me to upgrade by making an OS that is not compatible with my hardware (happened to both my G4's... otherwise I'd still be using them).

bootcamping windows is not an adequate solution for gaming :(

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That's pretty much my position, too. I switched to Mac last year, and love my MBP which does everything I ask it to do very well. However, the college where I teach - and the distance learning software it uses - as well as the EU mission where I currently work, are all solely Windows environments. So, in effect, that means that I use both, regularly.

Cheers and good luck