is there anyone who loves voice control?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bennettave, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bennettave macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wonder what percent of iPhone users take advantage of the ios voice control. Also, if you do use VC, what for?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Probably more people don't use it than who do.

I use it when I drive. I can't bother to look down at my phone to find a playlist/album, so I just feel for the Home button and go from there.

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I doesn't know, "play podcast x." It's far too limiting in what it can do right now. Shame because it could be soooo much better.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I use it occasionally when calling people while driving, with my headset.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Only occasionally, to change music when walking. But not very often...

8. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I have only used voice dial a few times while driving. When in public I will look like a dork talking to the phone.

9. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I've had an iPhone for a couple years now and today was the first time I've actually used voice control. I just setup a bluetooth speaker in my car last night (which has been sitting in a box for close to 2 yrs).

I've got to say it works pretty well. No more having to get the phone out of my pocket to make a call. Only wish I had a newer bluetooth speaker that had caller id (so I could ignore calls as needed).

I guess I should welcome myself to 2003....

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

11. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Once it understands my bristolian (Bristol, UK) accent, then it's okay. :D

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Other than missing mind control, I actually do use it from time to time and think its good. However, I often forget its there.

This is a place where Android does better. Their little microphone in every search bar and search as a widget means its in your face a lot.

13. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I use it here and there my hubby always I found 2 apps which extend the possibilities a bid
    voice brief
    dragon dictation

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't use the phone part of my iPhone much,but when I do, I like to use the voice control. It works rather well most of the time.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I find voice control to be incredibly helpful. Whenever I take a bike ride (which I do often), I have my In-Ear Apple headphones with remote and mic plugged into my iPhone, which goes in my backpack. Whenever I need to call someone, I just hold the button on the headphones and say "Call __________" and it works most of the time. Once, when I said "call home," it said starting FaceTime with Lie Harp (changed the name, but it rhymes with it). It did so many weird things when I said call home, so I changed to contact to "[Insert]My Last Name[/Insert] House" and it works just fine.

16. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I only use it when making a phone call while driving.

17. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

The iPhone, and its voice control, have been a God send for many blind persons in the world. I've read reviews, twitter feeds, etc. about it from people that are blind. And voice control is a big one. They can talk to the phone and it will talk back.
    Here's simple review from a blind person that can kind of show you how they view the phone and voice control.

I use it sparingly. Mostly to call people. Its much much much easier to just say "call home" than it is to click Home button, swipe to screen with contacts icon, scroll to Home, click on phone number.
    ....or click on Phone icon, click on Favorite, click on home.
    I just say Call home.

19. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's actually faster to open the phone app and tap on the contact in which you want to call. (My favorites is the screen that always opens first on the phone icon) Try it for yourself. Hold the home button and wait for that annoying voice to say "Say a command" and then try just clicking the phone icon and tapping on the contact in favorites.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

21. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Never got it to work with any reliability. Gave up trying.

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

While driving...its not faster. ;)

For me, if I want to call someone I can either just hold 1 button down. Then say "Call XXXX". From the moment I press the home to the phone saying "Calling XXXX" is about 7 seconds. I do not get any "Say a Command" prompt.

If I were to use touch, I have to:
    Click Phone icon, click, Contacts icon on bottom, scroll to contact, click on contact, click on phone number I wish to dial.

The time is about the same, however there are more tasks to take while using touch instead of voice. Again, this is merely just using it to dial. I'm sure other feature are different.
    Again, using voice control is much much much safer to use while driving and other activities that you must keep your eyes on something other than the phone.