Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I just installed MyWi 4.0 which also installed Rock. I remember people saying something about Rock being bad for the iPhone...is thre truth to that or were they just rumors?

I assume you can uninstall Rock, right? Would it be done through the Cydia app?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes, you can get rid of rock after you installed mywi.
I dont trust it judging by previous problems.

Same here, I experienced several issues in the past, never installed again (Those issues may have been iron out by now, but I don't trust it)

Edit: and you know that if "Applejuice" and I agreed on something them it must be true!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Uhh...so I uninstalled it but it also took MyWi 4 with it. What's up with that?

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Yes, you can get rid of rock after you installed mywi.
I dont trust it judging by previous problems.

Wait what?
You CAN delete RockApp after you installed MyWi and My3G??

The previous version would just uninstall the MyWi if you do that. If this is the case, I am getting both MyWi and My3G... Rock was the only hurdle for me from getting these two apps :cool::cool:

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I just installed MyWi 4.0 which also installed Rock. I remember people saying something about Rock being bad for the iPhone...is thre truth to that or were they just rumors?

I assume you can uninstall Rock, right? Would it be done through the Cydia app?

Anything you should know? Some people have had trouble with it in the past while others have not. As with any discussion forum, those who have had problems scream the loudest. Additionally, the ones who have had problems like to intimidate those who have not with phrases like, 'experienced jailbreakers say stay away from the Rock app.', as if the experience of the people who have not had problems is less valuable than the 'experts'. For these 'experts', Rock is the only application that had to be perfect from it's very first release.

So, have some people had problems with Rock? Yes. Does that make it 'bad for the iPhone'? That's your call.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with Rock, and I've been jailbreaking since 2.0.

However, I also don't load my phone up with a bunch of crap.

There are a few tweaks that I like to make, but other than that, I pretty much leave it alone.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with Rock, and I've been jailbreaking since 2.0.

However, I also don't load my phone up with a bunch of crap.

There are a few tweaks that I like to make, but other than that, I pretty much leave it alone.

Im the same way...I like SBSettings, iSmartDialer, MyWi and thats really about it. I may get one of the quick reply SMS programs too but I dont mess around with themes or changing fonts or any of that.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Anything you should know? Some people have had trouble with it in the past while others have not. As with any discussion forum, those who have had problems scream the loudest. Additionally, the ones who have had problems like to intimidate those who have not with phrases like, 'experienced jailbreakers say stay away from the Rock app.', as if the experience of the people who have not had problems is less valuable than the 'experts'. For these 'experts', Rock is the only application that had to be perfect from it's very first release.

So, have some people had problems with Rock? Yes. Does that make it 'bad for the iPhone'? That's your call.
Thank you.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I never had any issue with Rock.

cmb741

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I read about someone installing rock, My3g & then renaming all the files associated with My3g, reinstalling My3g(So there are no partial uninstall errors in Cydia) then deleting rock, renaming the My3g files back to original and being able to keep My3g without Rock.
Not sure if this would work tho, if anyone tries it out
Keep us informed.

Also if I remember correct. U only need to rename the folders containing the My3g files with the exemption of the .dylib file. Which should be renamed itself.

I'm trying to wait for a unrestrictor update but I may give this a try.

As for the original topic. I've had a lot of issue with rock in the past. I don't want it anywhere near my phone. Not even briefly but well see lol.
Just my opinion tho.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
For what it's worth, I've never once had a problem with Rock, when I looked into removing it, it wanted to take myWi with it and it's worked a hell of a lot better than Cydia since it became all but impossible to do anything remotely connected with jailbreaking. I was able to start it up, download and install a short list of programs and purchase two yesterday. What was I able to do with Cydia? In between the million or so errors over the course of the day yesterday I was able to download Rock, period. To each his or her own but I don't distrust it any more than I distrust Cydia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.