Is there anything like Notepad for Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by papatoony, Oct 29, 2012.

1. papatoony macrumors newbie

I had Mountain Lion on my MBP for a couple of months and really liked the Notepad. I've had to go back to using Lion though because I just couldn't deal with some of the ML changes. Now I'm happy with everything *except* I miss the Notepad which I found very handy...I kept it in my dock and organized all my various notes there. The only 'similar' thing I can find in Lion is TextEdit which doesn't organize anything :\ Anyone know of something I could download that's comparable to Notepad?

Thanks!

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

Could you please post a link to this "Notepad". I've never heard of it for Mac.

3. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

hahaha.. oh man. This has to warrant one of these.. no?

[​IMG]

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm guessing this is what the OP means:

Attached Files:

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Evernote perhaps? But I have to say, the notes app is still in Lion inside the Mail app.

Personally, I think the ML version of Notes sucks. We're on version 10.8.2 and you still can't search inside individual notes (they "Find" commands are greyed out). I use this extensively.

Honestly... I get more done with simple textedit keeping all my notes in a simple folder.

6. papatoony thread starter macrumors newbie

Evernote costs $45/year? LOL wow. Gonna pass on that...all I need is a simple place to store & organize notes (like grocery lists, etc). There are the little sticky notes, but those are too small for my needs. I've played around with notes in Gmail and can't figure it out for the life of me...it sends them to my inbox every time I edit one which I find annoying. It just doesn't make sense to me. In ML I could easily just keep it in my dock and never fuss with the Gmail mess. Looks like I might have to go back to using TextEdit which sucks because I have to keep them open, which clutters up my screen when I "show all open windows" (whatever the term is for that).

7. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Get open office or something or use text edit. And I'm surer there is other apps in the Mac app store.

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

In Lion Notes is part of the Mail app. They will sync across your devices through iCloud, though more clumsily than in ML.

What made you "downgrade?" Aside from some minor annoyances, I much prefer ML.

9. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

It's only $45 per year for premium. Free seems like it will do what you want.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

11. Maczor macrumors regular

TextMate: http://macromates.com/
    It's closer to Notepad++ actually from Windows...

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you're in fact not looking for a text editor...

12. brentsg macrumors 68040

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

A quick search of 'NotePad' on the Mac App Store will find you many note-taking apps, some of which are very similar to the notepad app in Mountain Lion.

Attached Files:

14. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

15. Coldmode macrumors regular

Sounds like you want Notational Velocity. http://notational.net/

It syncs with services like Simplenote on the iPhone so you can carry your notes with you. All free.

16. v654321 macrumors member