Is there anything like this?

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I want to have a triple boot of Linux, OS 9, and OS X on my 10 GB hard drive of my iBook Clamshell. I have the two installed, and I also have a bunch of files, but I don't want to have to reinstall everything, and my only flash drive broke, so I would have to eMail myself every single file that I had stored on it (Like 1 GB). I was going to install it, but my third partition was formatted, and it needed to be completely blank with no formatting whatsoever. So, is there any utility or something that can make one partition unformatted without affecting the other partitions? Thanks!!

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
What version of OS X are you using?
Sorry! I'm using 10.1.5.

Yeah disk utility in os x should do it. It does it for boot camp.
It doesn't do that. It requires a kind of formatting.

What do you mean about making a partition "unformatted"?
By unformatted, I mean having it not be HFS, FAT, Mac, etc., but having no type of formatting, being completely blank.

Which two do you have installed?
I have OS X 10.1.5 and Mac OS 9.2.2.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I do recall that the alternative PowerPC Ubuntu install has a format tool as part of its installation that will preserve your data on existing partitions whilst creating the necessary partitions for Linux to install into. Worth a try.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I do recall that the alternative PowerPC Ubuntu install has a format tool as part of its installation that will preserve your data on existing partitions whilst creating the necessary partitions for Linux to install into. Worth a try.
Thanks! "Delete Partition" worked perfectly for me.