Is there anything new for sound output equalization?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iolinux333, Jun 2, 2014.

1. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Can someone look at the settings for Music under EQ? In iOS 7, exactly one setting, "Night Mode" is global, in other words it effects the EQ of the sound from *all* audio output, regardless of which app is producing it, whether the app is Spotify, or the built in music player, or anything at all. Do any of the other settings do this too now or are there any other new EQ features? I can't install the beta to find out.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is a "Late Night" setting for the EQ. Not sure what it does though.

3. iolinux333 thread starter macrumors 68000

In iOS7 it "compresses" the sound, mostly it decreases highs and lows a bit (so not real compression which decreases overall dynamic range). The interesting thing about that setting is that it works on every app, including YouTube, etc. I'm surprised there really is so little interest in improving the sound flexibility of the iPhone, especially since the underlying DAC is so high quality.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm no audiophile but I did read Apple was definitely interested in updating their itunes library with High definition versions of music.

5. iolinux333 thread starter macrumors 68000

That seems to be the issue? Where did all the audiophiles go? I remember in the days of iPod every audiophile had one! Maybe they moved over to Android because of the lack of custom EQ on Apple products?

6. sebastian... macrumors regular

I'm also interested in that. The day they will add a custom equalizer which will be able to globally affect the sound (not just only the music app) will be a strong incentive to update my idevices and the ios.

In the meantime, there are music apps with custom eq and I believe there's even a movie player app with custom eq settings.

7. iolinux333 thread starter macrumors 68000

This works for specific apps, but for many apps that don't have an EQ there's no solution. Not to mention that messing with EQs constantly for all the different apps is a HUGE PITA.