Is there anything on OSX that keeps a log of all network activity?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, Nov 24, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

This month we went over our monthly internet cap by about 65MB (as of the 22nd), IIRC I checked it sometime between 8 and 11 AM that morning, I checked it later at about 3:30 PM, and it said we were 2.7GB over.
    I found in the activity monitor on my dads computer that under the network tab it showed 2.65GB of data received, however he said he didn't download anything, I'm trying to figure out what it was.

Since we noticed (at about 13/14th) that we only had about 1.8GB left, we all really stopped downloading etc... Considering we pay $150 per 1 GB over the limit (bit expensive eh?).
    Is there anything that keeps a log of all the network activity, I'd like to know what it was, because I can't find a thing!

EDIT: Just curious, would Console list that kind of stuff? We're trying to pinpoint the time it happened / what it was.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Interesting problem...I made a database query in console to report everything containing "network", but it only shows errors.

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    you can use Net Monitor Sidekick to see all network connections/speed per process.

If you want to see more information about what is going from/to the mac, you can use Wireshark but it's maybe a bit advanced for your need.

Tex

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

You could search the filesystem for files that were modified during
    that period. That might give a clue.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/find.1.html