Is there anything on OSX that keeps a log of all network activity?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
This month we went over our monthly internet cap by about 65MB (as of the 22nd), IIRC I checked it sometime between 8 and 11 AM that morning, I checked it later at about 3:30 PM, and it said we were 2.7GB over.
I found in the activity monitor on my dads computer that under the network tab it showed 2.65GB of data received, however he said he didn't download anything, I'm trying to figure out what it was.

Since we noticed (at about 13/14th) that we only had about 1.8GB left, we all really stopped downloading etc... Considering we pay $150 per 1 GB over the limit (bit expensive eh?).
Is there anything that keeps a log of all the network activity, I'd like to know what it was, because I can't find a thing!

EDIT: Just curious, would Console list that kind of stuff? We're trying to pinpoint the time it happened / what it was.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Interesting problem...I made a database query in console to report everything containing "network", but it only shows errors.

Comment

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
This month we went over our monthly internet cap by about 65MB (as of the 22nd), IIRC I checked it sometime between 8 and 11 AM that morning, I checked it later at about 3:30 PM, and it said we were 2.7GB over.
I found in the activity monitor on my dads computer that under the network tab it showed 2.65GB of data received, however he said he didn't download anything, I'm trying to figure out what it was.

Since we noticed (at about 13/14th) that we only had about 1.8GB left, we all really stopped downloading etc... Considering we pay $150 per 1 GB over the limit (bit expensive eh?).
Is there anything that keeps a log of all the network activity, I'd like to know what it was, because I can't find a thing!

EDIT: Just curious, would Console list that kind of stuff? We're trying to pinpoint the time it happened / what it was.
You could search the filesystem for files that were modified during
that period. That might give a clue.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/find.1.html

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.