Is there anything Palm has the iPhone won't?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Karma, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Karma macrumors newbie

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I'd hate to say this, but Palm is hardly a competitor in terms of the iPhone. It only has 128 MB max internal (60 MB accessible). 312 Mhz (where 667 Mhz is on the iPhone).

Anyway, Palm does have 2x digital zoom. miniSD slot. Infrared. video capture. Voice dialing...and I think it has the ability to edit and save Office documents.

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I had a Palm device with same size/resolution screen as the iPhone, analogue joystick, 400Mhz CPU (same speed as iPhone's CPU is actually run at), 3D GPU... but it wasn't a phone, WiFi had to be added from SD card (it had two slots, though, so that wasn't too bad), and the iPhone's UI just beat the crap outta it.

4. Archie- macrumors regular

Lets see...

Verizon 3G coverage
    Voice dialling
    A2DP
    MMS
    Apps without Apple oversight, like Skype
    Ability to edit word and Excel files
    hard keyboard
    one handed use
    video recording
    IM
    blackberry connect
    tethering
    cut and paste

... and plenty more.

5. wako macrumors 65816

if you truly are a mac owner, you would not be comparing specs... we were behind for years yet our computer still seemed as fast as the PC counterparts

6. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

That's cuz Pentium processors (Pentium-M aside) were horribly inefficient. Despite bigger numbers, they weren't actually faster in reality.

7. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

While some of those are valid, you're padding your list a bit here.

• The first is obviously arguable as to whether that means anything; though its a sample size of 1, my AT&T coverage is pretty darn good unless I'm underground where no signal would reach anyway, and AT&T has/is expanding their coverage.
    • Valid, valid, and valid (though I'm sure you'll see 3rd party apps for this and voice dialing).
    • Applications with Apple's oversight are part of what make the iPhone a great platform to develop for. If anything, this is a point for the iPhone, not for Palm. Apple's guidelines, as much as they may seem "restrictive" to you, are not randomly chosen to spite users. Those guidelines are what help guarantee that your iPhone doesn't turn into a bloated P.O.S. just from installing some apps on it.
    • Valid, but another thing for 3rd party apps. Everything doesn't have to be a built-in core feature.
    • Another point for iPhone that you think somehow helps Palm. As an iPhone Developer, the lack of a hardware keyboard and the subsequent increase in screen real estate that it affords me and my fellow devs is a great boon. It allows us to my applications that are truly dynamic rather than relying on a static set of buttons for input. Touch-screen input and the lack of a hardware keyboard are what make the iPhone such a great platform.
    • Err, you can't use an iPhone one-handed? Might want to tell users that. :D
    • Valid. Its not the jesus phone.
    • Yet another thing for 3rd party apps.

"... and plenty more" that don't have any bearing on the argument if you don't mention them!

8. Karma thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so the question is whether third party apps will give the iPhone those capabilities. The one thing I'm looking for is the ability to work on (edit) Word & Excel documents (& sync them to PC or to .me).

Does anyone see this happening?

9. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Though I haven't heard anything about one yet, someone could conceivably make an application to edit Word and Excel files. The sticking point would be getting using them again - there's no way to arbitrarily sync files or access the filesystem sans jailbreaking, but it would be relatively easy to build in support for emailing yourself/others the files to use elsewhere. It didn't look like there was any MobileMe function to sync files, unless they did iDisk access on the phone (which I doubt will ever happen). Applications are sandboxed so that they can't interfere with the operation of the system as a whole, so there are limitations to what people can do.

This seems like something there would be a good deal of demand for, so I'm sure someone will come out with something if an app isn't already finished and ready to ship.

10. Archie- macrumors regular

While you list arguments why the Treo features are not good, if you are looking for a hard keyboard specifically (as many do) then its a selling point.

Also if you want to Skype, being told that Apple is looking out for you is cold comfort.

Also of course we are not just talking about verizon coverage, we are talking about verizon EVDO coverage, which is much more expansive than AT&T HSDPA coverage.

11. Karma thread starter macrumors newbie

If I knew there was such a program I'd buy it for $100.00.

12. nakile macrumors regular

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

14. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

15. firewood macrumors 604

Stylus.
    Graffiti gesture text input using a stylus.
    IR "beaming" data and apps to/from other handhelds.
    At least 6 buttons for gaming.
    Some have tactile QWERTY keyboards.
    Some have card slots.
    Some have removable batteries.
    Some allow Bluetooth file send to/from a Mac.
    Some have serial ports supporting user access.
    Some allow IR remote control operation.
    CDMA cell phone models available.
    Under $100 models available (under $10 on eBay).
    Watch-sized model used to be available (now a collectors item?).

Multiple app development SDKs in multiple programming languages, some even hosted on the handheld itself.
    Official support for installing apps from any source.
    App integration allowing data sharing between apps.
    Current models include a built-in 68k emulator.

Shareware with trial periods.
    Currently a *lot* more apps (over 10 years worth).

16. rayward macrumors 68000

A bloated o/s that ran on protocols akin to the United Nations didn't help either.

17. Karma thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the confusion. I meant applications / software. The SDK comes out on the 27th, right? *sigh*

18. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

depends which Palm you're talking about, a palm with PalmOS or a palm with Windows Mobile 5 or 6. I've had palm os since the Pilot in many different models. I hate palm os with a passion. WM, I love.

In the end, yes, Palms have tons of features that iPhones don't and some are really great and came long before they were exulted as revolutionary on iPhone.

I've been using WM for the last two years (getting a 3G in July!). Here are a few great features:

-nearly everything on a palm can be done one handed. It's incredibly rare that you'd need to pull out the stylus
    picture speed dials on the home page
    -live weather radar and traffic radar pics on the home page
    -limited to 6 email pop or imap accounts you can see which accounts have mail on the home page
    -exchange, remote wiping, locking, etc
    -search from the home page
    -windows live search blows the doors off google maps. I've been using both since they came out for WM. I think it's clear cut...but you can choose. windows live can be voice activated, like "find cigars near 15217"
    -flash websites
    -easily adjustable registry for customization (some progs will do it for you)
    -can view all types of media
    -all of you tube not youtube mobile. can view other flash movie sites as well.
    -mms,
    - auto tm so when someone calls you, you can instantly return a tm saying you're occupied - can set about 12 different user messages.
    -limitless source of apps
    -skype calling
    -voice launch, annc of appoints, callers, "call joe on mobile"
    -video recording
    -slingblade (watch your directtv on your phone)
    -sd card or micro sd
    -bluetooth and a2dp
    -can listen to any streaming website, including sirius if you have an accnt.
    -cut and paste (seems amazing that is a feature by comparison)
    -web browsers opera, pocket int exp plus, several others, too
    -full native office doc support. If you want to run a pp from your phone you can. if you need to edit excel or word you can.
    -removeable battery (can't believe iphone is missing this)
    -keyboard is fast & easy
    -multitasking - while you talk to someone on speakerphone you can use and run other programs in the background- you can chat about a pp presentation or word file with someone while you work on it.

Treo is a more powerful phone, but generally it's going to require a lot more effort on your part to make it do everything. If you value media or simplicity go iPhone.

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well I mean its has "Verizon coverage period" which iPhone doesn't. But on AT&T's network, anything with Palm OS doesn't have 3G. While iPhone does.

I can do that on my iPhone.......

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

An OS with out a major upgrade in 6 years?

Multitasking?

Haha, but really both OSes over impressive stuff.

21. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

cdma (700wx) and gsm (750) models
    sprint, tmobile, etc